Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online

victim of trich

hi everyone. i'm really glad i joined this because it's comforting to know that there are so many other people going through the same thing, and hopefully we can all overcome this. so i started pulling out my hair in the bang area when i was in 5th grade. i didn't realize i was doing it at first until i started to notice bald spots on the top of my head. the pulling continued and i had more noticeable bald spots and very short hair along my hairline. people would stare and it made me feel extremely insecure. luckily i figured out ways to style my hair to hide it as best i could. when it grew a little longer i would do a "french twist" along my hairline and pin it to the side. i did this every day to cover up the short hair. eventually i got an extension to make the hair look longer. it was good while it lasted and it did make my hair inside the braid (she braided some of the hair under the extension) grow a lot. i got the extension out a little over a year ago. the hair that was in the braid grew and is now down to my chin, but the hair that wasn't in the braid is still pretty short and barely reaches my eyebrows. all of my hair in front is pretty much all different lengths and just looks very awkward. it's my #1 insecurity. i still have not stopped pulling. i never completely stopped and i don't know how i can. i pull when i'm stressed or bored or pretty much just all the time. all i want is long beautiful hair. i am now a junior in high school and this has been a struggle for me for 6 years. it's so hard being around girls everyday with gorgeous hair knowing that i have this. i also love to do hair ironically, which makes it even harder. i really hope i can overcome this. thank you to everyone to read this❤️

Replies

BrookeyDe
BrookeyDe

Hi. It breaks my heart to read all these comments from young girls or young adult women. What you said about being envious of all the other girls with beautiful health hair. I've always hated hair product commercials because I could never have that kind of result. I've taken Prozac for years for clinical depression and one doctor even told me that the medicine was also for OCD, which is what I was told my hair twisting and pulling actually is. There is no cure for this affliction. All I could suggest is that you find things to keep your hands busy. Needless to say, during the course of my life I have learned quite a lot of hobbies. Unfortunately, my favorite hobby of all time is reading. And I twist my hair the worst when I read.