Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

0 Online

so many questions

hey ! 

i have this really weird habit especially when i'm stressed( almost all the time) to scratch my face and hair. my skull has my scab now and i try to take them out because it's very ugly which just make my habit worse..

any help please

(i don't know if this is trico)

Replies

Sometimes...
Sometimes...

That's actually considered excoriation (the scab picking). I've tried a number of things to stop doing this, cutting my nails, counting my fingers, wearing my hair in a ponytail. Sometimes they work, other times it feels like a losing battle...I only pick at the ones in my hair, it's my disturbing little secret.
littleone75
littleone75

okay now i now how to label it thanks!
but is it scratching you ?? all the time ?
Sometimes...
Sometimes...

I scratch until there is a scab, then I pick off the scabs, usually while I'm driving. I think I like how the pain feels, its freeing. Sometimes I will put rubbing alcohol on it, the stinging sensation make me feel something when emotional I feel nothing. Occasionally I get acne and I'll pick those off too. Its an ugly compulsion but I have no other coping mechanisms for my anxiety. When I was on antidepressants I didn't do this very often.
Ara_Jo
Ara_Jo

its sort of dermatillomania
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • whit22

Empty Again

Just like that, my emptiness, hopelessness and darkness are back. Summer break started for my graduate program today.I feel weird having nothing to do. I thought about taking all the pills in my house. I wish I didn't feel so terrible underneath.What can I do to feel okay? To pass time? To feel whole and calm again?
  • cheechiqua

I'm broken

I'm so sick of my depression. It keeps bringing me back to the same place. I'm alone. I am a fuckup. I have nothing going for me. I try to force myself to do positive things, but they either don't pan out or don't help. I keep ending up alone. The people in my life I reach out to are tired of me. I'm just a burden to them. I usually use food and tv for distraction but they've stopped so I've...