Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online

just joined and definitely needed to

hi everyone! i am so glad i found this website because i had no idea trich was even a thing - i thought i was crazy. I'm completely freaking out because i feel like i have done some perminent damage and i'm so scared. Usually my hair will grow back pretty quick, but tonight i am convinced (with the help of self diagnosis via the internet) that my hair won't grow back. The spots where i have been pulling from are now completely smooth/(bald?) and i'm scared my hair won't grow back - please help!!!! Has anyone picked to the point where their patches have gone smooth?? and if so do i have any hope in having my hair grow back? ):

Replies

happy123
happy123

Hey there, I'm glad you have discovered this group! I have been pulling hair from my head for 15 years. I have pulled the same area to being perfectly smooth many times and it has always come back, don't let the internet scare you! For me, it comes in thin and wispy at first then thickens out over time. When it's perfectly smooth it does take the longest to grow back in.

I don't know your story so I can't say for sure. I've heard that eventually it can stop coming back but this has yet to happen to me. Just cause it's smooth doesn't mean there is no hope!
One product that has helped me is Ovation shampoo and regrowth cream. It's a little pricey but I find it really works.
I hope this is encouraging to you! :)
ab1993
ab1993

Agreed, don't believe when you read that it won't grow back, back in my early trich days most of my anxiety cycled round the constant fear that the hair wouldnt grow back. IT WILL. It takes a a while but try to forget about it, exercising, eating well, and getting some sun are all good for increasing rates of hair growth as well as reducing anxiety :)
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • smoof

Hair growth

Hi everybody. so I first kinda developed trich when I was prepping for the ACT summer of 2016 before my senior year in highschool. started just running my hand through my hair not really pulling yet, but in December of 2016 when I was filling out and sending college apps I had noticed that I would pull my hairs out from the roots and that it was wrong, but obviously I couldn't just stop at the...
  • trichymom

8 days pull free and hating it...

I started pulling out my evelashes when I was 7 years old. I'm 21 now. Around my junior year of high school I started pulling my hair on my head too. I won't go into the personal details, but a weight was lifted off my shoulders and it's given me the strength to fight it. I've pulled out hair on my body everyday, all day for 14 years. Today marks the 8th day pull free and I've only pulled out 2...