Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

0 Online

Hello everybody!

Hi, I'm new to this community but not new to this condition. I'm 22 and I've been pulling as long as I can remember, as early as 5 at least. This last year has been the first year I've been able to open up to anyone in my life about it, but I still struggle accepting it sometimes. I'm just here to know that I'm not alone. That other people feel what I feel, do what I do, and can still be productive human beings. 

Replies

getbacktoserenity
getbacktoserenity

Hey, welcome to the community! I applaud your strength to open up about this condition.
Do you have difficulty accepting it because you worry acceptance will mean an inability to stop it?
I mainly struggle with acceptance because I want to get better but always slip back to the impulsive habits. In a way I do not want to accept it. I want to get better, if its possible. Acceptance almost feels like a form of justification for the bad behavior. There is so much self blame and guilt involved... I think that it is the most difficult aspect of this disorder.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Community Leadermujicaptsd

Dysfunctional family to family of choice?

I was the designated scapegoat in my dysfunctional family system from childhood through age 52 as an adult, so I know the bitterness of unfair dysfunctional family disappointment.  I was an honors student when I lived at home, and when I went to college I got a rare Fulbright Scholarship which would have made any parent proud.  But I got nothing but criticism and ridiculous attacks on my...
  • murphygrace

Anyone out there?

Feeling lost and scared. I can't control my sadness. Not that I really want to control it, but I don't know how to come out of it anymore. I'm scared of this darkness. I don't want it anymore.