Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

0 Online

Hello everybody!

Hi, I'm new to this community but not new to this condition. I'm 22 and I've been pulling as long as I can remember, as early as 5 at least. This last year has been the first year I've been able to open up to anyone in my life about it, but I still struggle accepting it sometimes. I'm just here to know that I'm not alone. That other people feel what I feel, do what I do, and can still be productive human beings. 

Replies

getbacktoserenity
getbacktoserenity

Hey, welcome to the community! I applaud your strength to open up about this condition.
Do you have difficulty accepting it because you worry acceptance will mean an inability to stop it?
I mainly struggle with acceptance because I want to get better but always slip back to the impulsive habits. In a way I do not want to accept it. I want to get better, if its possible. Acceptance almost feels like a form of justification for the bad behavior. There is so much self blame and guilt involved... I think that it is the most difficult aspect of this disorder.
jesspritch2
jesspritch2

Hello KitCat :)
Firstly, I want to applaud you on your ability to open up and begin talking about your challenges. That takes strength and a willingness to take a risk. In this, I can relate. I too have found family photos from the age of five where I am hair-pulling. It took me until I was 19 or 20 years old to start talking about it, and for me, this felt very freeing. We will all continue to have good days and bad, but being able to talk about it can sometimes make all the difference. You are absolutely not alone in this, and we are all here to offer support and encouragement. I want to challenge you to continue to reach out. When I finally starting communicating and doing research, this is when I discovered a whole community of people who struggle with challenges similar to my own, and many had some self-help techniques that I had not tried! It was truly an amazing thing, to not feel like I was the only one dealing with trich. Welcome to the community and God bless you. <3
cocopuffstuff
cocopuffstuff

Hello! I joined recently too. It feels really good to talk about these issues with others. I'm not sure if our experiences are the same, but I want to encourage you that I'm successful and productive despite my social anxiety/OCD/trich etc. I work as a designer for a pretty awesome agency. I know people I work with and have worked with maybe notice that I'm a little different. However, the more I focus on other people than myself, the more I notice that everyone has these issues they are trying to hide all the time. That helps me continue on and not be as self-conscious.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • art4life19

I'm new here Issues with disassociation

Hi I'm Art I'm new here but I have had PTSD for several years. I have PTSD from a combination of several different traumatic events that have taken place in my life not just one event. I am a survivor of sexual abuse as a child, a rape survivor, a car accident survivor, the survivor of an armed robbery and the survivor of a natural disaster. I get nightmares and flashbacks from the different...
  • LonelyB

He blames me

I've been a picker for some years now. I was abused physically as a kid that caused me mental anguish that I haven't worked through yet. I was able to stop picking for a long while but in the last 8 years I started picking again but in a much more aggressive manner. My husband has made it clear to me tonight that he is disgusted by my picking and that I'm starting to look like an old bald man. I...