Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

0 Online

Hello!!

Hi I'm Jess

I'm new to this but hoping I can get some support and know I'm not alone. So I've suffered from Trichotillomania for about a year now. I used to have super long, thick, dark hair that I loved! But thanks to school I started pulling. My mother made a comment saying "what ever you're doing to you hair stop it. It's starting to look ratty". Thanks Mum. It did wonders for my self esteem

Replies

headrushlush
headrushlush

Hey Jess! I'm Liz :) I've been living with this D.O. since I was about 15 - I'm 28 now. It definitely has it's ups and downs... but it definitely helps talking about it. Please feel free to PM me if you want/need for advice or kind words :)
Jess17B
Jess17B

Thanks Liz ☺️
lalabub
lalabub

That stinks that your mom said that, but does she know whats going on with you? I think I've made my biggest steps forward when I told my sister and husband about what was going on. I don't think they quite understand, but they are my supporters. Hope you can find someone to confide in!
ab1993
ab1993

I'm so sorry about your mum i know its so hard when your family and friends don't understand and make you feel even worse. Trust me you are NOT alone, I hope you find some support in this group :)
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • smoof

Hair growth

Hi everybody. so I first kinda developed trich when I was prepping for the ACT summer of 2016 before my senior year in highschool. started just running my hand through my hair not really pulling yet, but in December of 2016 when I was filling out and sending college apps I had noticed that I would pull my hairs out from the roots and that it was wrong, but obviously I couldn't just stop at the...
  • trichymom

8 days pull free and hating it...

I started pulling out my evelashes when I was 7 years old. I'm 21 now. Around my junior year of high school I started pulling my hair on my head too. I won't go into the personal details, but a weight was lifted off my shoulders and it's given me the strength to fight it. I've pulled out hair on my body everyday, all day for 14 years. Today marks the 8th day pull free and I've only pulled out 2...