Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

0 Online

Hair growth

Hi everybody. so I first kinda developed trich when I was prepping for the ACT summer of 2016 before my senior year in highschool. started just running my hand through my hair not really pulling yet, but in December of 2016 when I was filling out and sending college apps I had noticed that I would pull my hairs out from the roots and that it was wrong, but obviously I couldn't just stop at the time. Now I have it all under control, but I lost something like 200-300 strands of hair and now parts of my scalp are visible, but its not like I'm bald just low number of hairs per square centimeter or whatever. Anyways I'm just worried about my hair. Will it grow back? if it will how long should I expect it to take? I havent seen a doctor or therapist or anything, but it has been two months and I dont see any signs of new hair growing in places the old hair was. Can any whose been through this help?

Replies

lalabub
lalabub

I'm not a doctor, but I think if you leave it alone it will grow back.....it might take longer than you think though. Can you do something to try and help your stress level? It seems like you have a lot of stuff going on that might make you stressed out....ACT and testing always is stressful! Good luck and I hope you are doing alright.
smoof
smoof

@lalabub thanks for the response. Ive got the whole pulling side to this down by now. done with the ACT, college apps etc. worried it could come back at some point down the road when I'm really stressed again. Has this happened to you? how long did it take? thanks again.
Ampk
Ampk

@smoof I just wanted to let you know I have been dealing with this for 10 years now and iv had it under control a few different times (not at the moment) and the hair has always come back but it does take time. For me the full grow back to where you couldn't tell I had ever pulled was probably close to 3-4months but I also cut my long hair short so that it was all the same length.
ab1993
ab1993

It will grow back, it does take a long time though. Even places where i have consistently pulled for 12 years the hair keeps growing back. Just be patient, if after 6 months you don't see anything I would consider seeing a doctor :)
smoof
smoof

thanks for the responses everybody. It hasn't been 3 full months yet but even so I dont see any follicles returning, well sometimes I think I do, but I can never see it clearly enough to verify. I guess my biggest problem is that it is literally at the front of my head and so it bothers me every time I look in the mirror. Does anyone have any tips?
Side question: does cutting your hair so short that you couldnt pull it work to stop the bad habit?
Ampk
Ampk

I found that having it short helped me bc I literally couldn't grab it but I did find when it got longer I still had to fight the urge to pull and now I'm missing long hair bc it was easier to hid the patches now all I can do is wear a hat. But it did help me for a little bit.