Trichotillomania (Hair Pulling) Support Group

Impulsive control disorder is the inability to resist an urge, temptation, or impulse, even when it may cause negative effects to the self or to others. If you or a loved one suffers from impulsive contorl disorder, join the community to find support and share your challenges with others who know what you're going through.

1 Online

Am I wrong? (Trigger warning)

I started pulling my hair (or I finally realized I was pulling my hair) when I was 17. I was in an EMT school and I read about Trich in a book. I realized, holy shit, that's what I do every single day! I tried to talk to my dad about it and he freaked out on me. Told me no one in our family was crazy and I needed to pull myself together. I never mentioned it again. The thing is, I enjoy pulling. It's comforting and it's almost like second nature to me. I do it every single day. I'm constantly touching my hair obsessively and only pluck out the hairs that interest me. There are two major areas that I pull from, on the left side towards the back of my head and the right side of my hair line (my favorite spot). I'm doing it in and off as I type. The thing is, if you looked at me you would never know I have Trich. The area I pull from in the back is covered by the way I park my hair and the hair that's missing in the front just looks like that's my hair line. The other day I moved my bed and my little sister saw all the hair behind it. I laughed and told her wow, I must be getting old, my hair is falling out! Honestly, all jokes aside, I want to stop. I've noticed that my hair has gotten thinner over the years, but I'm afraid that I will lose the comfort that it gives me if I stop. Idek if I CAN stop. Sometimes I don't even realize that im doing it. It's almost like breathing. I've talked to my psych about it and all she says it to wear hats or keep my hair in a ponytail. How can you stop something that most of the time you don't realize you're doing? And even when I do realize it was so comforting that even if I do stop myself five minutes later I continue. I really don't know what to do.

Sorry for the long post, I really just needed to vent...

Replies

Trichster724
Trichster724

I'm the same way. When you pull, it releases Seratonin in your body which gives you a mild euphoric feeling. That's why you like the feeling and its comforting. I've struggled with pulling everyday since I was 9. Feel free to message me anytime!
Moondreamer1988
Moondreamer1988

It's definitely the most comforting thing to me. I started very young but instead of pulling I would twirl my hair so bad I'd put knots in my hair and my mother couldn't comb it out. It was until I went through a traumatic experience that I think I started pulling. It really sucks. Idk if I will ever stop. :(
ChristyB87
ChristyB87

Pulling hair has been something I've learned to accept. I've pulled my eyelashes since I was 9 - first just the top, then the bottom ones and eyebrows started in middle school. In college I started to wear false eyelashes and got really good at drawing on the brows. I wish I felt comfortable swimming... but I don't. I recently had my eyebrows microbladed which has helped minimize the amount of time I spend on makeup during the day!
Moondreamer1988
Moondreamer1988

I used to over pluck my eyebrows to the point where they were nonexistent!! I stopped tweezing because of it. If I lay down with mascara on my eyes I will pull them, so I take my makeup off before I lay down. The pulling is just so satisfying.
Kiralinekiraline
Kiralinekiraline

Thats the question we are all asking how to stop.
mal0407
mal0407

i feel u, truly. this makes me feel so scared of what the future holds, and i want to overcome this difficulty before it gets too late
Mommabearxo
Mommabearxo

I hear you, it's just something that seems so unfair yet unexplainable to most, I finally told my fiance after years , and he was the first ive told, he felt bad but I still don't think he fully understands the seriousness of the struggle
Moondreamer1988
Moondreamer1988

Yeah!! I don't think many people understand the struggle of it, especially when it's not very visible. I used to have very thick hair and I can tell how thin it's gotten. I only really pull from two specific areas but it's not really noticeable.. yet.. It feels good to tell people but at the same time I feel like I become very vulnerable when I do.
:(
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Moondreamer1988

Two weeks sober.. (Triggered)

So, it's been fourteen days sober. I've been tempted a couple times due to my mom drinking, but today was the worst. I'm sick, my mom is drinking and I was just asked if I was going to the bar with "everyone" tonight. On the bright side, I told her I quit drinking and she was happy because she never drinks. She invited me over to play dominos and hang out but I'm too sick to go. I just feel...
  • Moondreamer1988

One week sober..

I can't believe it's already been a week since my last drink. I guess it's nothing to brag about, I mean, it's only a week. Last night I got a phone call from a friend that I usually drink with. He called me from the bar. At first I ignored the phone call, then he called again.   I answered and he tried to convince me to come out. I heard the music in the background, the laugher and drinks...