Transgender Support Group
This community is here to support and help the large population of transgender people. If you or anyone you know identify as transgender, this is the place to share your feelings and experiences and speak with others who are going through similar things in their lives.
I think it would be best that you first get properly diagnosed by a qualified therapist who specializes in gender issues before you tell anyone and such therapist will advice you when you are emotionally ready to tell your family and friends.
I personally do not recommend announcing such a personal issue to anyone until we are emotionally ready to deal with potential fallout.
I know it is difficult to live a life different than the one you want but think of it this way, would it not be better to share the news when you are truly ready?
I did not tell anyone about it until it was obvious I was transitioned, by then I was ready to deal with what took place. Some was good, some was not so good but in time I saw the rejection as a huge favor from the universe.
Hope this helps,
Wolf (FTM)
Everyone has a different journey when it comes to transitioning. I agree with Wolf that you have to be emotionally ready to tell people who you are. That being said, I can understand what you're trying to say and I personally wasn't able to keep everything inside. I told my mother in the middle of a break down I was having after a rough break up with my gf and in the middle of changing my medication.
Was it the best idea? no. But I knew I had to let that part of me out and I would do it again. My mom wasn't happy, or excepting at the time. But I felt better being honest with her than I did if I had kept hiding it.
You do what you feel like you need to do to be happy, after all thats why we all go through this journey. That journey belongs to you, not your mom or any one else. They might not like what you tell them, and thats understandable, but that doesn't stop you. You should be prepared for that response until she has time to understand. No mother wants their child to go a change that they know will cause their child pain, and sometimes its hard for them to see past that and see the bigger picture.
No one can blame you for being scared. I was just reading a book where the author mentioned that she didn't understand why people would call transgenders people heroes. Most of us don't think we are on a hero's journey, we are scared as shit and just do what we have to. But thats what a hero is, and no could expect you to do anything less. Its your right to be happy and if you honestly feel that the first step in that is coming out to your family, by all means do it.
Again, I agree with Wolf; the more support you have the better. Therapist, friends, the people on this website are all great tools to help you along. But you are the one who knows what will make you happy.
Pls feel free to message me if I can help or you want to talk.
Be safe, and with much love,
- Hollie