Tinnitus Support Group

Tinnitus, "ringing ears" or ear noise, is a phenomenon of the nervous system connected to the ear, characterised by perception of a ringing, beating or roaring sound with no external source. Tinnitus can be objective (perceived by a clinician) or subjective (perceived only by the patient).

0 Online
0 Online

Swimming

I was wondering if anyone had a problem when swimming with their tinnitus? I thought since summer is coming that I might ask if any problems occur before I subject myself and find out the hard way.

Replies

JohnK
JohnK

Simple answer - No Problem for me swimming. Swimming does not help or hurt my particular brand of T.
deleted_user
deleted_user

i wear swim moulds to keep the water out
deleted_user
deleted_user

I recently went swimming and it has got worse - is this likely to subside ? I will check with my Dr. but I'm a little worried - it seems to be something people have heard of - what gives ? excuse my ignorance - thanks....
deleted_user
deleted_user

Grans, question... Were you in deep water and under pressure, or in a shallow pool?

My dad has had T for 36 years, went water skiing, swimming, etc. and has never had a problem. Me on the other hand? I have yet to put my head under water since this all began in March. A shower, yes, but not swimming.
deleted_user
deleted_user

no problem with swimming for me,Scuba diving is different however... with depths comes pressure on the ears, not to mention, its very quiet down under, which I tend to here the T more.I have not been on a dive since I was "officially diagnosed". Yet another thing this crap has taken... Peace and quiet too ya amigo!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was told by my ENT doctor not to get water in my ears. When I have a shower I aways use those swim moulds too.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Rosssu - the water was only swimming pool about 12ft deep - didnt spend much time at the bottom either...first I got water in my ear which seemed to stay there for a few days and then my tinitus got louder.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Grans, it's very unfortunate that this happened to you, personally I think it sucks. This T beast seems to do what it wants whenever the heck it wants to and there is nothing we can do (or can't do) about it. I have yet to put my head under water since my T inception (no on purpose though), but I am not about to let it take away the things I like to do in life either. I mean, I live a block from the ocean after all!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm fine with swimming, but wear a bathing cap and don't go under water. After swimming, I make sure to put a few drops of alcohol in the ears and any excess water drains out easily. T doesn't seem any worse and of course any kind of exercise usually helps overall.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I love swimming. I don't get any problem regarding my swimming, right now, I am engaged in a swim workout program and I am enjoying it.