Rheumatoid Arthritis Support Group

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic, inflammatory, multisystem, autoimmune disorder. It is a disabling and painful condition which can lead to substantial loss of mobility due to pain and joint destruction. The disease is also systemic in that it often also affects many extra-articular tissues throughout the body including the skin, blood vessels, heart, lungs, and muscles... The symptoms that distinguish rheumatoid arthritis from other forms of arthritis are inflammation and soft-tissue swelling of many joints at the same time (polyarthritis). The joints are usually affected initially asymmetrically and then in a symmetrical fashion as the disease progresses. The pain generally improves with use of the affected joints, and there is...

2 Online
2 Online

Nausea from Methotrexate

Just took my 2nd dose of methotrexate - 10 mg last night. I am so nauseous from this medicine. I am wondering, for those who are on it, how long does the nausea usually last? I had my first dose last Tuesday and have been nauseous off and on since then.

Thanks!

Replies

sunnyinla
sunnyinla

For me it really never goes away, it's off and on but the worst are the 2 days after I take the pills. I drink Canada dry ginger ale it helps a lot.

Best of luck,

Roni
mrsweekend
mrsweekend

I am on my second dose as well. I had an upset stomach after the first dose but amazingly, am doing better after this second dose. I am not on the full dose yet so that may change next week. Does it help to eat something? I was also told to make sure to drink LOTS of water. If it gets unbearable, I would call your doc and see if they can give you something different....don't suffer.
Hugs,
mrs.weekend
yankeesgrrl
yankeesgrrl

I've been sipping on ginger ale/lemon soda/tea and nibbling on crackers, but it doesn't help. I am just worried that, if I feel this bad now on this dose, what's going to happen next week when the dose doubles? I hate to feel this way...I would rather be sick and get it done with then constantly have my stomach all queasy!
MKP1952
MKP1952

I was lucky, only felt slightly nauseous. I was told to take it before I went to bed, and to drink lots of water.

Drinking a lot of water = getting up a lot during the night.
deleted_user
deleted_user

If it's really bad, ask for an anti nausea med. I am off mtx now, but for me, the nausea got better after a month or so. Hope you feel better soon.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Most side effects & nausea subsided for me after a few months of taking MTX. I am on 25mg weekly. My rheumatologist gave me a prescription for the nausea to use as needed.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Sadly, I find the nausea lasts longer the longer I take it, but it's worse the two days after. I take my shot (15mg, down from 20 at first) on Friday around 8. I usually end up taking gravol before bed because I get the dry heaves. Saturday and Sunday I take ginger pills, and feel pretty crappy, but can function because I'm not working. Mon - Thurs I have what I call "gym sock tummy" it feels like i swallowed dirty socks. Yucky, but I can live with it. I'm hoping that it will fade in time. Good luck with your nausea. I hope you find what works for you.
Lifeis2short
Lifeis2short

I first started when I was first diagnosed 2 years go on MTX pills but after about 3 months went off because of hair loss. Well after all this time of trying so many other medications they decided to try me on MTX injections along with Simponi injections. I have not had any real bad side effects. Been 2 months now and I'm even weening off Prednison because I feel so much better. Maybe you should try the injections. It's really easy and doesn't even hurt!
Cheerfully
Cheerfully

When I started methotrexate I felt bad for a few weeks then the side effects subsided. However, when my dose was increased I had more trouble and it stayed. I told my doctor I couldn't function like that and he added folic acid. It has helped a ton. I hope you find what helps you.
Bistro
Bistro

It angers me and breaks my heart every time I read one of these posts about mtx.

It took it for 3 years and without fail it made me sick 2 out of every 7 days, not great the rest of the week, and really wasn't a terrific controller of my RA.

I'm doing Humira now and you wouldn't know I have RA. It's only an opinion, but because mtx works/ed for people, and it's cheap, they push it out first. Conservative approach my ass. The stuff (for me was) is Nasty.

Ok. I'm done complaining. I just Know there's a better way - several of them. And wish Nobody would have to endure what you're going through. I'm really sorry.

On the positive, if it helps, and you can go to injections maybe, or somehow learn to adjust When you take it, and how to optimize your experience, great. Hang in there.
yankeesgrrl
yankeesgrrl

Thanks to everyone for your responses to this. I did call my Rheum yesterday and after speaking to the nurse and doc, they are going to switch me to the Methotrexate injections. I have to go for training on how to inject myself, and will begin the shots next week. I don't go for another visit with the doc until December, so after the blood work results, I will know if the Methotrexate is working or if they have to do something different.
bcatz
bcatz

Yankeesgrrl, please ask for a prescription of zofran or the generic from your Rhuem. doc. It will right the nausea!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I second the Zofran. Works great.

Unfortunately for me, I am in the neck of the woods where the injectable is unattainable and got switched back to the oral. UGH.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi yankeesgrrl,
Nice to meet you. I too was sick after taking my cocktail, decided to call my RA. Told him how I was feeling and he decreased my Methotrexate. I have flres and I rely on Predisone and with in a few days I feel better. I started a partime job as a cook in a small town cafe and I love it. I hope this is the right thing to do but gotta keep moving. I hope you can get over feeling like yuk, might think about calling you RA. Hope you feel better soon.