I have been on methotrexate for about two years, injecting weekly. For the past six months, I have been having increasingly more severe topical reactions at the injection site. First it was just a red spot for a few days. Then it lasted longer, and then it started getting a little larger each time. For the last six weeks, each injection site has been getting scaly / scabby and looks blistered. Until a few weeks ago, it was just a visual thing, but the last few are itchy, and taking forever to clear up. The spots are the size of a quarter.
When I mentioned it at my last appointment two months ago, my rh suspected the needles, which I'd ordered online (I realize that may be a bit dodgy, but I've gone through a terrible time with the local pharmacy, they never have them in stock, or give me the wrong size.) But I'd done more than a year's worth of injections (box of 100 needles) without a problem. At that last visit, the problem really wasn't a big deal, but I do feel that it's worsening, and I'd like to get this resolved, so i'm going to ask for a change of meds at my appointment in four weeks.......I think.
The thing is, the MTX is working. I actually delayed my shot twice in the last month because of travelling and some scheduling issues - I tend to have an 'icky' day after each injection, not a big deal, but I'm not at my best. When I delayed the injection, I was aware of a change in my pain level and general joint stiffness.
My doctor tends to respond with "If you think you need a change, we'll try something different", which I am beginning to suspect is somewhat of a way to get her off the hook. I am finding her to be less than helpful when it comes to offering the pros and cons of a med; it's more 'let's try it and see if it works." I understand it's different for everyone. And perhaps this paragraph is off topic a bit. It's just that I don't expect to get helpful feedback from her.
So I'm asking you: if you inject MTX, have you had any issues like this? Would you stick with a regime that's working overall, and put up with what is actually a fairly mild (although intensifying) discomfort, or insist on a change?