Renal Tubular Acidosis (RTA) Support Group

Renal tubular acidosis (RTA) is a disease that occurs when the kidneys fail to excrete acids into the urine, which causes a person's blood to remain too acidic. Without proper treatment, chronic acidity of the blood leads to growth retardation, kidney stones, bone disease, and progressive renal disease.

0 Online
  • deleted_user

how to diagnose RTA

My urologist thinks I may have RTA as I am constantly making calcium phosphate kidney stones but she wants me to go to a kidney stone clinic in a big city for diagnosis. I live in a rural area but I don't understand why I can't be diagnosed locally. Is the test for RTA a blood test for acidic blood or what kind of testing is required? I have had three lithotripies and the last two broke the...
  • deleted_user

Growing out of RTA

My son has Distal RTA. He was diagnosed at 14 months and is now 27 months old. His doctor said some kids grow out of RTA by the time they are about 4-5. We wont know until then if he will or not. Does anyone know the likelihood of this happening? I was hoping to get a little insight on what to expect for his future.
  • Hi. I have been having health issues for years now and i finally feel like i am almost going to get an answer on what to do to get better. All my testing always comes out normal, and i am NOT stressed or anxious (which doctors like to say when they can't figure you out). The only abnormal test i had done was an upper endoscopy which showed lymphocytosis which is indicative of either celiac...
  • deleted_user

Just wondering

Are there any members in this group???? Really hoping!!!
  • deleted_user

DRTA questions and problems

hi i just joined because i have been reading all of the posts on the RTA support group site. i am a 34 year old female living in illinois with Distal Renal Tubular Acidosis. I was diagnosed at 2 weeks old with failure to thrive. i was taking polycitra up until the age of 14 and then was switched over to polycitra-k due to low potassium levels. I was treated with this medication and never...
  • deleted_user

hearing loss

Anyone with RTA also have hearing loss? My two teenage children diagnosed with RTA from birth are now losing their hearing.
  • deleted_user

Distel renal tubular acidosis.

Anyone who is suffering from DRTA with bone problem also.
  • deleted_user

What med. do any of you take for R.T.A.?

me i take cytra-k
  • deleted_user

Please help us

Hi all,Im new to this stuff but I am completely beside myself and don't know what to do. My husband was diagnosed with RTA (eventually) after a traumatic childhood with no-one really knowing what was going on. Since then he has been in an out of hospital, the last 12 months have been particularly bad, with agonising pain and stones. Each time he is pumped full of pain killers and sent home to...
  • deleted_user

RTA

I wish there was more on here in regards to RTA There are days it is very hard to handle
  • deleted_user

I hope this group is still active!!

I am undiagnosed. Sick eveyr day. I would really appreciate if there are any active members if you could tell me your symptoms, specifically your symptoms before treatment and what led you to seek a doctor to diagnos you,a nd also if diagnosis was hard. I haev been sick for 3 years, and trying to get a diagnosis, RTA is the closest I have foudn tomatch my symptoms. Hopefully there are still...
  • deleted_user

Got Reflux?

My son has always had coughing at night and been able to vomit at the drop of a hat. I figured this was all tied into his allergies but now he's started waking up clutching his stomach at night and screaming/crying. he also has a little dry cough and then throws up everywhere. after a trip to the allergist reflux was mentioned. what kind of treatment am i looking at here? especially if he can't...
  • deleted_user

How to get my son to gain weight

My son has serious issues in gaining weight, and he's on a high calorie diet including consuming pediasure and holy cow bars everyday. Neither of these seem to be helping him. He could eat a full meal and when he's done his stomach could be extended out and he'll sit and relax his stomach after eating so he doesn't get sick, and after about 2 minutes of resting his stomach will be flat as a board...