Premature Birth Support Group

Premature birth is defined medically as childbirth occurring earlier than 37 completed weeks of gestation. About 12 percent of babies in the United States are born prematurely each year. The shorter the term of pregnancy is, the greater the risks of complications. Infants born prematurely are at a greater risk for developing serious health problems such as cerebral palsy, chronic lung disease, vision and hearing loss.

1 Online
  • ktj427

Hey I am new here....

Hey Everyone.. I gave birth to my son at 31 weeks. He was 3 lbs 3 oz and had a good set of lungs on him. He spent 70 days in the NICU. Some days were definitely harder than others. Around being in the NICU for 45 days he was diagnosed with laryngomalacia. He was the small percent that ended up needing surgery. It was one of the hardest things for me to see happen. Obviously he stayed in the...
  • Shanturner93

Preterm labor

I will be 28 weeks on Thursday. I am threatening preterm labor. I was wondering  how many successful stories are there. What is the survival rate at 28 weeks
  • rosebud8909

Adult Preemie Support Groups?

Hi all,I was a preemie (26w, 760g) and grew up physically very healthy--I met all of my landmarks and milestones early, and was lucky enough to never have trouble with many of the things that preemies suffer (asthma, pulmonary problems, learning disabilities, etc).However, I have been suffering from extreme anxiety and depression for a long time. My therapist thinks that this may be related to...
  • Hello, I am new to this group and was wondering if this is still an active group. I was born premature, but I don't know by how much. I have a lot of classic symptoms of being born premature. I have a hard time developing relationships, and I have a hard time with work. I am an introvert, and show signs of ocd, anxiety and depression and maybe some neurotic features that are sometimes associated...
  • deleted_user

botched circumcision at 32 weeks

My son was born 2 months early weighing almost 5lbs. I was pressured into getting him circumcised . no one told me that because of his small birth weight there could be a problem. They didn't remove enough skin and to make a long story short he is now 2 1/2 yrs old and his foreskin is fused to the head of his penis. he was suppose to get it fixed last year but I have been fighting with the...
  • Doodles13

Stories of preemie success

Hello all :) I am in need of some success stories. To give a little of my background. I have a 3 1/2 year old son and when I was pregnant with him no complications at all! Getting #2 here has been a challenge to say the least. I did IVF in March and was blessed with a BFP. However, this pregnancy has been anything but easy. At 12 weeks and 15 weeks I had major bleedouts resulting in a 6in clot in...
  • deleted_user

Can't stop crying

My son was born 5 weeks ago at 25 weeks. He has a serious heart defect, Tetralogy of Fallot. The doctors say his condition is "guarded", which as far as I can tell means "Not impossible, but don't be too hopeful". My baby is on the oscillator and the doctor has said that it seems each week he needs more and more support, and that although he's not there yet, there might be a point where there...
  • deleted_user

Hi, new here

My daughter Lillian Rose, was born December 10, 2013 weighing one pound ten ounces, eleven inches long. the doctors estimate (didn't know how far along I was) I was between twenty four and twenty six weeks. Right now everything seems so scary. in her first week there was a scare about infection, a brain bleed, and they thought she was going to have to go through surgery. she is a little more...
  • cottontail

baby born at 25 weeks what should i expect?

He is four days old and weighs just over a pound .they say he is stable and just to take one day at a time. Does anyone know what his odds are ? Has anyone been through this. He was born and home and I am worried about brain damage too.
  • swdream74

New to group - 6 weeks preterm

Hello everyone,I wanted to share the story of the newest addition to my family. 1st let me tell you that I have 2 boys ages 7 & 8 that were both full term & I went natural with both so the birth of my 3rd son was a whole new experience for me.In November, the day that we were moving into the house that we just bought, I found out that surprise, I'm pregnant. I'm 38 & 5 years ago I had taken a...
  • tammylynn

Just joined

My daughter just delivered by c section 28 week twin girls about four hours ago. I, unfortunately am seperated from them by 3,000 miles.On friday my daughter went to her prenatal checkup and they discovered that one of the babies had stopped moving so after consultation they flew her to Jonhs Hopkins. Once there they tried taking fluid from the larger, stronger baby and giving it to the smaller...
  • deleted_user

persistent pulmonary hypertension

Hi, Im new to this group. My baby was born at 36 weeks (Joshua), and had meconium aspiration. Now he has been diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension and is on a vent with nitric oxide treatments. Im very very scared and worried for my baby. I was just wondering if any others on this board has experience with this diagnosis/treatment? Thank u so much....
  • deleted_user

"Don't name her, you'll get too attached.'

The subject is exactly what the doctors told my mother.She never smoked, drank, took pain killers, or even had soda throught out the 4.5 months she had me in her stomach.They told her I was to be blind, retarded, and most likely of situations pass away.My question is, why was I so early? They told my mother that they could not find a reason as to why I was.But, my father was an alcoholic, severe...
  • Patti-Simone

Please help!

Hi, I am the grandma of two beautiful boy girl twins. They were born at 35 weeks. Mackenzie the girl, is perfect and healthy and doing great. Matty was having trouble breathing when he was born and spent 18 days in the NICU, with problems like maintaining body temperature and he was being tube fed for quite sometime. He was released 6 days ago and feeding him is very hard. He will not take...
  • deleted_user

Castan

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share a bit about Castan's story.On November 1, 2011, I took a pregnancy test because I had been having symptoms for a few weeks. My husband was adament that I was not pregnant because I had the Mirena IUD placed in 2009 and it's supposed to last for 5 years. The first, as well as second, test showed positive immediately. I cried all that day because I knew we just...