Polymyositis & Dermatomyositis Support Group
Polymyositis (PM) is a type of chronic inflammation of the muscles (inflammatory myopathy) related to dermatomyositis and inclusion body myositis. The inflammation is predominantly of the endomysium in polymyositis, whereas dermatomyositis is characterized by primarily perimysial inflammation.
angie1026
I had my CK levels checked yesterday. They are at 47. My rheumatologist wants me to stop my Medrol (I'm on 8 mg now-have been tapering due to stomach issues). I havent been on steroids very long (about 5 weeks) and have been tapering ever since week two when the stomach issues started.
My rheum does not think starting methotrexate will benefit me. He says the pain I am in now is from the damage that has been done and will just take time to improve. He says MTX is used to bring down CK levels and since mine are normal, I wont get any benefit fromit. My dermatologist wants me to go on Methotrexate for my rash. Which is getting a bit worse since the taper off the Medrol. It never went away completely but it was getting better and now is getting worse again. He says it may or may not help with my pain. ???
I seriously do not know what to do. Methotrexate is a serious drug. I dont know if I want to take it for a rash. Then again, this isnt exactly poison ivy or something. The rash is a symptom of my illness. In my opinion, this means the illness is still alive somewhere in my system.
I am so frustrated that my two specialists seem to have such different opinions on how to proceed. My Rheum just wants me to have my CK levels checked again in 2 weeks then again in 6 weeks. And to see where my pain level is at that time. My Derm would like to see me start the Metho asap.
My pain & fatigue seems to have gotten worse since we started tapering the Medrol but my CK numbers are still low. I dont quite understand that either. But we really didnt have much choice on tapering the Medrol since it is just ripping my stomach apart. Plus, since my CK levels were ok, my rheum was ok with the taper.
I just dont know what the heck to do. Any adive? Metho or not? I have to say I'm leaning towards trying it. In the injectable form, at a low dose and see how I do.
My rheum does not think starting methotrexate will benefit me. He says the pain I am in now is from the damage that has been done and will just take time to improve. He says MTX is used to bring down CK levels and since mine are normal, I wont get any benefit fromit. My dermatologist wants me to go on Methotrexate for my rash. Which is getting a bit worse since the taper off the Medrol. It never went away completely but it was getting better and now is getting worse again. He says it may or may not help with my pain. ???
I seriously do not know what to do. Methotrexate is a serious drug. I dont know if I want to take it for a rash. Then again, this isnt exactly poison ivy or something. The rash is a symptom of my illness. In my opinion, this means the illness is still alive somewhere in my system.
I am so frustrated that my two specialists seem to have such different opinions on how to proceed. My Rheum just wants me to have my CK levels checked again in 2 weeks then again in 6 weeks. And to see where my pain level is at that time. My Derm would like to see me start the Metho asap.
My pain & fatigue seems to have gotten worse since we started tapering the Medrol but my CK numbers are still low. I dont quite understand that either. But we really didnt have much choice on tapering the Medrol since it is just ripping my stomach apart. Plus, since my CK levels were ok, my rheum was ok with the taper.
I just dont know what the heck to do. Any adive? Metho or not? I have to say I'm leaning towards trying it. In the injectable form, at a low dose and see how I do.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
I just recently heard from another member here that the injections have FAR less side effects tho, so that may be the way to go. Please keep me posted on what you find out and what your decision is..my prayers are with you...
I always thought the methotrextrate was given in conjunction with the Prednisone to bring the disease under control. At this point in time I think I'd listen to your rheumy and skip the Methotrexate. That's just my humble opinion however I think I'd get a second opinion before making any major moves. Blessings, Kim
With your tummy troubles i would be inclined to not try the metho, especially if you are only trying it in the hope it will help your rash. Remembering that metho can take up to 4 months to 'kick in' , thats a long time to submit your tummy more stress than it is already under.
Best wishes that you find something that works for you, i guess i must be lucky in that i have an iron cast stomach and none of these meds upset me but i feel for all of you that are not so lucky.
Take Care
Ness
Love Hugs and Prayers :-)
You could ask your dermatologist to refer you to a different rheumy who knows how to play well with others. That will take a lot of stress out of your life. Best wishes to you!
~Lucky