Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group

Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.

0 Online

Sports

Just looking to get others thoughts on this one. I gave up Jiu Jitsu on the advice of a consultant when first diagnosed. Mentioned it at my last check up and the new consultant felt the health benefits of doing it and keeping fit outway the downside whilst kidneys aren't huge (19cm). So gone back but going stready.

Any others had conflicting advice regarding activities? 

Replies

enigmaticloner
enigmaticloner

I haven't heard any advice really besides avoiding contact sports like football and what not which I didn't have a problem following as I don't do those kinds of activities really.
Chewitt
Chewitt

I think the advice is generally, and sensibly, that if what you're doing doesn't cause you any problems i.e. pain, then carry on with it. If you were to start finding that you suffer pain after your Ju Jitsu sessions, you might want to rethink. Whilst kidneys are small, the limitations are few.
Rhinotmetos
Rhinotmetos

I used to go for a fast walk early in the morning every day. Five, six miles. Just for exercise's sake. One day, almost exactly two years ago I slipped and fell hard on my side. Just some bruises. But some days later I swell up like a balloon. Spent two months in bed. Completely deranged labs. I thought I wouldn't make it. Lost about 15 kg.

Contact sport might be risky, as a cyst might rupture.

Good luck,

R.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • mrscox1017

Renal Hypertension

I was diagnosed with PKD about 3 years ago. It was found on a bit of a fluke because my blood pressure jumped pretty quickly (normal in July, then dangerously high in January) and so my doctor ordered tests to find the cause. She had a cat scan done thinking it was an adrenal issue and found the cysts in my kidneys. I initially took Lisinopril (40 mg/ day) which kept my blood pressure in check....
  • feeb

Expanding ribcage

I am new to this group. I am a 60-year-old female with PKD and PLD. There are many things are doctors never think to tell us and many things we can only learn from other suffers. Right now, I am concerned about my expanding ribcage. I am petite and short-wasted so crowding is definitely been an issue for me. However, I've never heard anyone complain of their rib cage sticking out and I am...