Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group

Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.

0 Online

Marijuana oil

Hi All! New to the group, I was diagnosed with AKPKD about a year back, my kidney function is pretty normal currently. Hoping to keep it that way for as long as possible! I met with a new doctor today who wants me to start BP medication even though my bp is in the normal range. He also adviced me to start Tolvaptan, I'm a little reluctant since it's still in trial. Just wondering if anyone is doing it and also if anyone has tried marijuana oil to slow down the process. Thanks for sharing! 

Replies

Chewitt
Chewitt

Hi najia, welcome to the group. Tolvaptan has been licensed in England for those with PKD stage 2-3 with rapidly declining function. These are not the best criteria in my opinion, but who am I to say?! As you say, the aim is to maintain good function, so why wait until it's rapidly declining. These criteria reflect the testing and demonstrated effectiveness, however. The drug has not been tested in those at stage 4+, and that's probably rather too late anyway. It is also untested in those aged 50 and over. There are side effects, but if you tolerate them and it gives you several years more with good kidney function, I think it's worth a go. I decided against it because I am at stage 4 now and would probably gain only a few months grace before needing renal replacement therapy. I'm also nearly 50 and already have a difficult time with frequent urination, which Tolvaptan is known to cause. You have to drink a lot, which I'm not sure I could manage. Thus is crucial, as you become very dehydrated if you don't drink enough. For me, it's about quality of life now as much as anything else.

With blood pressure, many doctors, but not all, tend to want to keep our blood pressure a little lower than the generally accepted norm. What is your BP?

As for marijuana oil, I'm afraid I know nothing about it.
lovemyfive
lovemyfive

Interesting! I'm in Canada. I had this discussion with my nephrologist yesterday. I'm still stage one and my kidneys are very large. Why eGFR is about 112. As far as Tolvaptan goes she doesn't think the side effects would outweigh the benefits for me. She also mentioned the blood pressure medication study. My blood pressure is great so she did not recommend starting me on blood pressure medication... it's confusing isn't it? I haven't heard anything about marijuana oil.
kagancher
kagancher

I have not heard of marijuana being used to slow the progression of PKD, but it is definitely recommended to treat PKD related pain
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Mewty

How to support someone with PKD

Hello everyone! I'm new here and don't know exactly how these posts work, but I'm here to reach out for advice...I do not have PKD but my boyfriend was diagnosed months ago with "the worst possible case" of this disease...he's been sick for well over a year before he was diagnosed. for all of you who have it..I'm sure you can all sympathize with him. He's 29 years old. His father, aunt, and uncle...
  • Donna2017

Little moan

I realise our am lucky only to have PKD. There are a lot of families dealing with worse diseases and illness.  My post is really vain and I feel like a phony posting on here. I am 37, I still have good renal function but my kidneys are quite huge now. Over the past 8 weeks I have been asked on several occasions about when my baby is due. I find people staring at my abdomen quite a lot. It is...