Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group

Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.

0 Online

Lisinipril and PKD

My son (29 years old) was diagnosed with PKD about 9 months ago.  His kidney function is fine.  His blood pressure is about 130/80.  His doctor is recommending Lisinipril to control blood pressure and help with cysts.  He is not experiencing any negative affects from PKD at this point.

My husband is 67 and found out 9 months ago that he too has PKD.  His kidney function is fine.  He takes medicine for high blood pressure.  He like my son is not experiencing any negative affects from PKD either.

is there anyone who was told to take Lisinipril for the same reasons?

thanks!

Replies

Lady_Colossus
Lady_Colossus

I take Lisinopril for my blood pressure. I'm 34 and still in stage 1. I have bad pain because my kidneys are so huge. My left is double its normal size. So far, other than a few infections, I'm doing alright. Just playing "the waiting game" I suppose. I'm wishing you and your family well!
Chewitt
Chewitt

Strict blood pressure control is one of the most important factors with PKD for prevention of further kidney damage. It's very common for those who have no other problems with their PKD to have elevated blood pressure (either figure above 120/80) and need medication to keep it at an acceptable level. As an ACE inhibitor, Lisinopril is the first drug of choice but if it doesn't suit, there are plenty of others to try. I took Losartan until recently, but after several years of good control I am having new issues now with low blood pressure. I have stopped taking the Losartan but although my BP seems OK, I have to wait and see whether I now leak protein into my urine, which is also bad. Apparently, BP meds prevent this, too.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • And

Artificial Kidney Project

Hi Guys - not sure if you have read this before, but have posted about this on this forum earlier.The Artifical Kidney Project is all set to get into clinical in human trials early 2018! if all goes according to plan the device can be launched as early as 2020.I know this information is a big ray of hope for me. Initially, I didn't want to pin my hopes up on this project to be disappointed but...
  • And

Pregnancy &PKD

So I will either have a egg donor or PGD done for my second pregnancy. Can anyone share with me their pregnancy experience? Does Kidney function decline post pregnancy. I am 30 years old, good kidney functions with Mild hypertension.I have a child who is 3 years old and had an uneventful pregnancy and no loss in Kidney function although I was 3 years younger.