Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group

Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.

0 Online

Blood pressure meds?

Hi all,

I wrote here about 6 months ago...i was very anxious and scared , diagnosed with pkd accidently (no symptoms)... my father was a very complicated case , died 2 years ago in 3rd transplant surgery(!). He had very big kidneys and very high blood pressure from young age.

I feel better now mentally and Im optimistic.

I'm 28.5 recently did an mri , my right kidney looks better than the left one,much less cysts and smaller...both kidneys still within the normal size ranges. +- 12-13cm 

thing is - my blood pressure is usually 65\126 or  60\130 or 70\119 ...those are the ranges... do you think i should start BP meds to lower it the systolic bp to under 120 regularly? cause my diastolic is usually low (below 70).

my neph said that not yet but im wondering if she is right.

sorry for my english (not a native speaker.)

Thanks!

Replies

Chewitt
Chewitt

Hi PKDIL,

I tried to reply to you previously but the website wasn't working properly. It's important to control blood pressure because high BP can lead to further kidney damage. However, diastolic pressure should not go below 60, so your consultant will be wary about prescribing medication for you at the moment. Keep the sodium in your diet low, exercise and keep drinking plenty of water and monitor your BP. Blood pressure which is too low can be as much a problem as high BP.
FullyHalfEmpty
FullyHalfEmpty

Your BP looks very good to me. They will want you to start BP medication once you're having several readings of the top number over 140 and the bottom number over 90. Blood pressure medication has a lot of unpleasant side effects, so do whatever you can to keep it low as long as possible to avoid having to take blood pressure medication and the damage that comes with persistent high BP. Good luck!
tryn2bpositive
tryn2bpositive

My neph said if my BP was consistently over 130 he wanted me on bp meds, calcium blockers. Then I lost my neph because the neph group's contract ended and they didn't renew.
My primary put me on a beta blocker and my bp plummeted below 100, took me off and to date no one has been able to tell me why that happened.
I consulted a holistic medical doctor who recommended dietary changes: I started drinking pomegranate juice, added tumeric to everything I can- it turns everything yellow - and my bp has stayed below 130 without meds for over a year.
So give it a try and see if it consistently lowers your number below 130.
And
And

Has anyone tried CoQ10 supplements?
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • And

Artificial Kidney Project

Hi Guys - not sure if you have read this before, but have posted about this on this forum earlier.The Artifical Kidney Project is all set to get into clinical in human trials early 2018! if all goes according to plan the device can be launched as early as 2020.I know this information is a big ray of hope for me. Initially, I didn't want to pin my hopes up on this project to be disappointed but...
  • And

Pregnancy &PKD

So I will either have a egg donor or PGD done for my second pregnancy. Can anyone share with me their pregnancy experience? Does Kidney function decline post pregnancy. I am 30 years old, good kidney functions with Mild hypertension.I have a child who is 3 years old and had an uneventful pregnancy and no loss in Kidney function although I was 3 years younger.