Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group

Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.

1 Online

Blood pressure meds?

Hi all,

I wrote here about 6 months ago...i was very anxious and scared , diagnosed with pkd accidently (no symptoms)... my father was a very complicated case , died 2 years ago in 3rd transplant surgery(!). He had very big kidneys and very high blood pressure from young age.

I feel better now mentally and Im optimistic.

I'm 28.5 recently did an mri , my right kidney looks better than the left one,much less cysts and smaller...both kidneys still within the normal size ranges. +- 12-13cm 

thing is - my blood pressure is usually 65\126 or  60\130 or 70\119 ...those are the ranges... do you think i should start BP meds to lower it the systolic bp to under 120 regularly? cause my diastolic is usually low (below 70).

my neph said that not yet but im wondering if she is right.

sorry for my english (not a native speaker.)

Thanks!

Replies

Chewitt
Chewitt

Hi PKDIL,

I tried to reply to you previously but the website wasn't working properly. It's important to control blood pressure because high BP can lead to further kidney damage. However, diastolic pressure should not go below 60, so your consultant will be wary about prescribing medication for you at the moment. Keep the sodium in your diet low, exercise and keep drinking plenty of water and monitor your BP. Blood pressure which is too low can be as much a problem as high BP.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • lilybell

teen with PKD

hi, I am 16 and was diagnosed with PKD 3 years ago. I've always had mixed feelings about my diagnosis. On the one hand, i have seen what several of my family members have had to go through with dialysis and transplants. However it doesn't feel real because I have no symptoms. I had an ultrasound recently, and seeing the cysts on screen was hard to experience. I joined this group because I wanted...
  • ILikeBacon

Cramping near ESRD

Hi everyone..  Do any of you have muscle cramping as you approach(ed) Stage 5?  I'm probably at around 13-14 GFR now, and am starting to get some recurring cramping - especially feet and ankle areas.  It's not chronic, but starting to be more than just a fluke cramp here or there I think.  Just wondering if this is something that is common.Thanks,Steve