Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.
Sherbear1982
For about a year or so I have dealt with nausea then toward the end of April I started vomiting after eating. The nausea is not just after eating but if I reach, push, pull, lift too much and it is bad after I first wake up after laying down. For years I tried to lose at least five pounds just for good health but could never make that happen well now in the last month or so I have lost fifteen pounds. I try to explain to my doctor how I feel and explain that I get light headed and feel like I am lacking nutrition. My basic chemistries and CBC don't look bad so he feels I am fine. My numbers are not going to be good for long if I can't keep food down! I had an endoscopy and I had very little peristalsis to my stomach and I don't know why that would be. So since all this I have started having heart palpitations which are more noticeable when I am laying down at night. My BUN which has always been in upper 20"s to 29 is now 14. Well my doctor thinks thats a great number but for me I don't feel thats normal. I think it means I am malnourished but my doctor says it just means I'm well hydrated which is funny since I take in less now then I ever have. I feel so frustrated and concerned for myself and I am lost on what to do or what it all means. Is this related to my PKD? I am just curious if anyone else has similar issue and if so please give me some input. I appreciate any suggestions or comments to help me figure this out. Surprisingly enough as little as I eat you would think I would lose my appetite but I don't. Im hungry and that is frustrating. Thanks for listening and thanks for any information you can share.
Sheri
Sheri
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
The advice I hear is to eat smaller, more frequent meals and to avoid eating a lot at once.
So sorry about this. I hope others have ore advice for you.
I also have the nausea from organ crowding and a crushed stomach. I have reflux and a little regurgitation (sorry, sounds disgusting) but no vomiting. I'm struggling with eating any significant quantity as it causes me considerable pain and discomfort. My whole intestinal tract seems to be affected.
I was just wondering about your reduced peristalsis and whether you might have reverse peristalsis. My sister in law has Crohns and has suffered vomiting because of this, which in turn was caused by an intestinal blockage. The blockage was caused by scar tissue from repeated episodes of inflammation. If you have enlarged kidneys, it's possible that the intestine could be compressed somewhere, causing the contents to back up and leading to vomiting.
It's also possible that the valve at the top of the stomach which stops food coming back up into the oesophagus is weakened by pressure from the kidneys and is allowing the stomach contents out.
As Alinds says, there appears to be no solution to this, just stategies to minimise the impact. Eating very small amounts frequently seems to be the only thing to do. I fear that this is going to become an increasing problem for me, too, and try to follow this advice. No weight loss will be noticed in my case because my liver is growing all the time, increasing my weight. My arms, however, tell a different story.
I was interested to read about your heart palpitations, as I have been experiencing this when I lie down at night. Strange but unexplained. It goes away quite quickly so I've pretty much ignored it.
I hope you can find a way forward with all of this.
Take care,
Chewitt
Thanks again for your input I will share with you the conclusion to the decreased peristalsis if I find out the cause.
I wish you both a wonderful day!
Sheri