Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) Support Group
Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is a progressive, genetic disorder of the kidneys. It occurs in humans and other organisms. PKD is characterised by the presence of multiple cysts (polycystic) in both kidneys. The disease can also damage the liver, pancreas and rarely the heart and brain.
NVBobby
Hi
I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Bobby.I.m 55 and have been diagnosed with PKD at age 45..
I am starting to get concerned about my creatinine levels as I see they are starting to rise . I have always been between 1.3 and 1.4 but the last blood work up it was 1.67.. My doctor always said 1 is good, 5 is bad..
I do have some discomfort, but no actual pain.. My kidneys are 21 cm ..
I have read some of the posts and they have helped me mentally alot..
I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. My name is Bobby.I.m 55 and have been diagnosed with PKD at age 45..
I am starting to get concerned about my creatinine levels as I see they are starting to rise . I have always been between 1.3 and 1.4 but the last blood work up it was 1.67.. My doctor always said 1 is good, 5 is bad..
I do have some discomfort, but no actual pain.. My kidneys are 21 cm ..
I have read some of the posts and they have helped me mentally alot..
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
first, a rise in creatinine as small as yours is not necessarily a sign of kidney deterioration. a rise can be caused by dehydration (are you drinking enough water?), an illness or infection, other factors.
on the other hand it is something to watch. your next labs may show a lower creatinine.
regardless of changes in creatinine, you should do all you can to maintain your kidney health, that is no negative behaviors like smoking or drinking, no recreational drugs or even aspirin, Advil, etc. no meds unless your nephrologist approves.
a healthy diet high in fruits and veggies, meat is ok but try to get most of your protein from vegetable sources, AVOID salty foods. cold cuts are very high in sodium, in fact most prepared foods are.
keep your blood pressure under control, if you are on bp meds be sure to take them.
drink plenty of water, not one drop less than 2 quarts a day, preferably double that.
good luck and keep us informed about your labs in the future.
Drinking enough water is one of my downfalls...I try, First thing in the morn an 8 ounce glasss of water followed by a bottle when I get to work..After that ???
Thanks again
welcome