Paralysis Support Group

Paralysis is the complete loss of muscle function for one or more muscle groups. Major causes are stroke, trauma, poliomyelitis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), botulism, spina bifida, multiple sclerosis, and Guillain-Barr syndrome. Paralysis may be localized, or generalized, or it may follow a certain pattern. For example, localized paralysis occurs in Bell's palsy where one side of the face may be paralysed due to inflammation of the facial nerve on that side. Patients with stroke may be weak throughout their body (global paralysis) or have hemiplegia (weakness on one side of the body) or other patterns of paralysis depending on the area of damage in the brain. Other patterns of paralysis arise due to different lesions and their...

0 Online
  • Donaldlund2010

Struggling

Hi, I'm never very good at talking about myself or the changes in my life but I am struggling currently. A little about myself, I'm a recovering alcoholic and gambling addict, I am in the system and will be for for the next 12 years because of my addictions, and June 6th I went in for my 54th surgery. It was supposed to be just a simple operation to implant a spinal cord stimulator, I have a...
  • acinorev92

Sex positions with a paraplegic man

Hi there,My boyfriend and I have been together over a year now, and naturally we've been having sex regularly.. But, when I'm on top I end up in a lot of pain.. I have a lot of bodily pain issues (possible fibromyalgia) combined with injuries... Generally speaking I straddle him, but this causes pain in my hips, knees, ankles and even my toes.. It probably doesn't help that he's overweight so...
  • deleted_user

loose friiends?

i am 19 and was in a accident a couple of months ago and am now a c6-c7 quadriplegic...i dont know if its just me or did you guys loose a lot of friends? not a lot i guess but most of them dont come around and if they do there is like nothing to talk about. Almost like they feel giulty talking about there day or something
  • sunshine917

How Does a Paraplegic Get a Driver's License?

Hello everyone,I am dating a 26 year old paraplegic. I live 1 hour and 30 minutes away from him. A car accident left him paralyzed from the nipple line down when he was 16 years old. He recently got his permit, but he has been unable to practice driving because everyone who has offered to let him practice driving with them has a car with a manual transmission. Because he cannot control his legs...
  • deleted_user

wife of para

I am a wife and mother and alot of other things my husband is a t10 para and is going through hell he has been in his chair for almost 4 years and every day seems to be geting worse for him... the nerve pain is hell as well as the spasams ... we have tried heat and many many many different meds... all to no avail... nothing we do is helping and we arent sure what elese we can do..... he has an...
  • I would like to sent a letter of support to a second cousin of mine in Ireland. He was involved in a car accident a few months ago and it could be that he is paralysed from his neck down now. i myself had a bad car accident 5 years ago but I made a good recovery and am not physically disabled. I did however have a long stay in hospital because of the many broken bones I suffered and the head...
  • deleted_user

Employment

Hi gang!Just wanted to find out if anyone has had any experience in finding employment? I have been fortunate to find employment and maintain it for almost 10 years. I have been blessed but I recently found out in my state of Idaho, employers benefit from hiring and employees that are disabled. I did not know that. Maybe that is why I have stayed with the same company for so long because I am...
  • deleted_user

Furthering Education

Hello Group,Has anyone taken part in finding resources to further your education because of the the "limited" employment opportunities? I found that if you contact Vocational Rehabilitation they will not only help you find employment but if they are unable to help they will help fund sending a person to school to further his or her career thus increasing the job opportunities. Everyone should...
  • deleted_user

Loss of Respect of Property

Hello group,I just recently traveled to Dallas, TX. and found it interesting that the airline or the people who work for the airline cared little about how my wheelchair was handled. When I received my chair back between a layover some modifications I made to my wheelchair were broken. I was very upset and went to make a formal complaint but nothing or no resolution ever came from it. Has...
  • deleted_user

Here to Support

Hi everyone,My name is Jorge and I am a T11-T12 para who recently celebrated my 10 year anniversary. Just wanted to put it out there that I am here to listen to anyone who is in need. Life is challenging enough and I can relate with many of those challenges but life does not have to end. There is always hope if you need it. Hit me up if you like to chat about those challenges or if you would...
  • deleted_user

I am here to help

I am a quadriplegic with a lot of time on his hands. If anyone ever wants to support each other with quadriplegic and other disability issues feel free to ask or start one thou me. I know quite a bit about assistive technology for people with disabilities, personal care attendant programs in the state of Maine anyway and a bunch of other knowledge in the area of disability. Strong desire to help...
  • deleted_user

Caretakers of Quadriplegics

It's been 6 years since I joined the caretaker community when my father suffered spinal chord trauma due to an automobile accident. I've never sought support from peers with similar experiences. I seldom talk about my "home life" with friends because I don't want to be a debbie downer. Besides, not many people my age can relate to this experience. I'd like to have peers to vent with, take advice...
  • deleted_user

Tired of Lack of ADA Competency?

I recently celebrated my 10 year anniversary and to this day I am amazed on the lack of ADA competency exists in my area. I have have been to restaurants, stores, and places of business that say their restrooms are ADA compliant but one cannot enter because the door is too narrow. Has anyone else come across this? I have been with my current employer for almost 10 years and they are barely...
  • deleted_user

Replacment for EZKeys

Hello, my name is Jim. I am a 45 year old quadriplegic who cant speak (tetraplegic?). Anyway, whatever you call it, my wife and I have been dealing with this condition ever since I suffered a brainstem stroke in 2006. Ill try to be brief and concise about the issue Im facing. I use a laptop computer, all day and every day, loaded with EZKeys software/hardware. As far as augmentative...
  • deleted_user

dont kno what to do?

im 28 was in a car wreck at 22 i was a strong very active boy, now all i can do is sit, i dont kno what to do? i need friends and advice plz. help...