Panic Attacks Support Group

A panic attack is a period of intense fear or discomfort, typically with an abrupt onset and usually lasting no more than thirty minutes. Symptoms include trembling, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, sweating, nausea, dizziness, hyperventilation, and sensations of choking or smothering. Panic attacks can be very sudden, appear to be unprovoked, and are often disabling.

1 Online
1 Online

how high does your heart rate get during PAs

I have situational panic attacks when I go to the doctor. My heart sky rockets between 130 to 150 and my blood pressure goes up when I get hooked up to the blood pressure machine. Anyone else do the same? How high does your heart rate usually go up to during a panic attack? I\'m 28 and have been having panic attacks for almost two years. Had a full cardio work up but I still worry that I get my heart rate up to a work out level just sitting down. My resting heart rate is usually between 60 and 70bpm

Replies

harry3333
harry3333

tell doc you are an anxiety sufferer and he will understand, we anxiety sufferers usually get severe 'white coat syndrome' in waiting room and when seeing doc that raises heartbeat and BP a lot, docs are used to this
deleted_user
deleted_user

Panic attacks are not the same as generalized anxiety.

During panic attacks my HR has gone as high as 240, and my blood pressure as high as 200/110.

Somehow I made it through it, though I was sure I was going to die.
Nicsgrl
Nicsgrl

Thank you guys so much for the advice and support. It does make me feel better that I'm not alone with this. At times I get so worried that I'm over doing it, you know with my heart rate I will actually limit the activity that I do to try and keep my heart rate down. Very silly I know, just wish I could kick the habit! I hope you all have a wonderful evening and again thank you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

you are not alone, i went to the doc last night and even then as i got near the ER door i felt my heart rate increase and i knew my blood pressure was going to increase as well. Until I told my doc about my PA she seemed a little concerned but once she knew what i was really there for she calmed me down quickly and i felt reassured soon after. my heart rate was around 130 or so amd my blood pressure was only slightly higher than normal. ALWAYS mention to your health care provider that you do in FACT suffer PA or Anxiety Attacks. it will make their own assessment more easier on YOU.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My blood pressure will be like 160/100 with panic attacks. Heart rate? Not sure, but over 100.
Normal bp 125/85, heart rate 85 lately. I've had periods where my bp stayed at 105/70 heart rate 70, and I felt like I couldn't exert myself due weakness of lungs or something.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Has anyone else experienced a heart rate over 200?
Rachellem
Rachellem

The highest recorded heart rate I had was 180 but before I got to the hospital I am sure it was higher then that. Nothing was wrong with my heart. I have had many ekg's,blood test and even wore the halter monitor for over 24 hours.Trust me you are not alone on this.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Nothing was wrong with my heart either, but heart rates and blood pressure that high over a prolonged period of time can be very unhealthful.

It is a condition that people should take seriously and stay on top of. Recovery is possible.
harry3333
harry3333

the heart will sometimes hammer and thud and seem to jump around in the chest but the heart isnt harmed, its just getting a workout as if you were exercising hard

I had all of the above plus 20 years of panic attacks and at age 68 my heart is still good, passed a treadmill test recently

it helps to accept whatever the heart is doing, dont worry and try to ignore it

anxiety sufferers shouldnt monitor or listen to their hearts or take their pulse either
deleted_user
deleted_user

Harry, it often sounds like you had generalized anxiety and never had a genuine panic attack in your life. You sure dont seem like you have much empathy or understanding of what people are going through.

240 is a dangerous heart rate. However, I have underlying health conditions. Some people have purely psychological panic attacks, but mine are associated with other more serious health conditions.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Well Im not sure what my heart rate is during a panic attack but last time I went to the doc. My heart rate was 128 & it is normally 79 or 80. My BP was 136/96 also too high. I also hate when they have the cuff on me and are holding a thermometer in my mouth at the same time & my head is clearly shaking caus eIm stuck there with something on my arm & the nurses hand holding something in my mouth. Not Fun. I was also worried that I would develop hypertension for these increased numbers or heart problems. My heart is fine but my Doc put me on a blood pressure med because I was having a heart race so bad during recent panic attacks that I really thought that is was a heart attack because Id never had a panic attack so severe. I swear I could almost see my heart beating in my chest. Very Scary. I really thought that that was it and I was a goner. I run on a tread mill daily & my Doc said its fine I started off not pushing it too hard but after a few weeks Ive been able to raise my heart rate up to like 160 w/ no problem so u should be OK. Ask your Doc about BP meds makes the attacks more bareable. I take Atenolol 50 mg Im 28.
deleted_user
deleted_user

sorry this isnt advice but sometimes when i panic my heart will beagt so fast an hard i will lie down an i can feelit beatin through my back an its like 200. im just wondering if it will kill me my doc did blood work but i just still think i goin to die
deleted_user
deleted_user

My first big panic attack my heart was going 191 in the E.R... My heart went into A-fib . A-fib is were your heart is out of rythm. I ended up spending the night in the Cardic Care unit. and luckily my heart went back into rythm on it's own. They said that I was low on potassium and magnesium.

So I do worry about my heart rythm and I really should not focus so much energy on it. . I am going to buy a heart rate meter, because I worry about my heart rate when I workout.

There is a poem by Robert Frost that gives me inspiration to live everyday fully

"Carpe Diem"

" Age saw two quiet children
Go loving by at twilight,
He knew not whether homeward,
Or outward from the village,
Or (chimes were ringing) churchward,
He waited, (they were strangers)
Till they were out of hearing
To bid them both be happy.
"Be happy, happy, happy,
And seize the day of pleasure."
The age-long theme is Age's.
'Twas Age imposed on poems
Their gather-roses burden
To warn against the danger
That overtaken lovers
From being overflooded
With happiness should have it.
And yet not know they have it.
But bid life seize the present?
It lives less in the present
Than in the future always,
And less in both together
Than in the past. The present
Is too much for the senses,
Too crowding, too confusing-
Too present to imagine."

Robert Frost
deleted_user
deleted_user

Well I have a home bp/heart rate monitor. Complements of hypocondria. I've seen my heart rate up to about 164. But I dont know if its ever been higher.

I think its ok that your heart rate go high when your in a panic attack.
kbr0632
kbr0632

My blood pressure was so high yesterday...and the doctor was concerned. But she also knew that I was anxious. I was seeing an ENT and she said she was going to share the results with my regular doc. I sneaked a peak and the bottom number was 90 (it has been as high as 100)....I thought that was okay since I was anxious. However, the doctor was concerned with my top number. I didn't even see that. I am not on BP medicine. I am afraid that I am going to have to be, but don't want to be. I am just going through a stresful time for me right now. But then again, isn't every day a stressful day. I hate this anxiety stuff. I hate the way my mind takes over and makes my body react with physical symptoms. It is so depressing. Anyway..someone mentioned that the heart went into Atrial Fib. That's scary. I never heard of that. I have heard of that in people that have heart problems and have to go on meds..but never just a one time thing. So..now I will focus on that. LOL.
It's tough being us. But let's all stick together. We will get through this..one minute at a time.