Panic Attacks Support Group

A panic attack is a period of intense fear or discomfort, typically with an abrupt onset and usually lasting no more than thirty minutes. Symptoms include trembling, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, sweating, nausea, dizziness, hyperventilation, and sensations of choking or smothering. Panic attacks can be very sudden, appear to be unprovoked, and are often disabling.

2 Online

Almost cause a wreck

Yesterday, I had a very bad or serious panic attack.
I was driving when this happen, I stop breathing, pain start shooting up my spine, and it felt like I was having a heart attack.
It had me sore today, I never had one that bad.
Has anyone had a experience like that?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

just breath
deleted_user
deleted_user

i caused a car wreck when i had a panic attack while driving. i couldn't breathe, i couldn't see. i smashed right into a truck. the car crash only made me panic more.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I get panic attacks a lot when driving. It helps to focus on my breathing and the road rather than to think about the panic. My panic attacks are more like strokes (tingling/numbness in extremities, manly my face) and my breathing gets shallow while my heart starts to race. I know that if I smile when I'm driving and talk to myself (this may sound weird) and tell my self that I can do it, I can drive almost anywhere and sometimes they even go away.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Keep your mind distracted.

Driving has become a major difficulty for me. Try what you can to avoid this.

Initially, the problem was that I wasn't even aware that what I was experiencing were panic attacks, so maybe your awareness will help.

Basically, traffic of any kind was a problem. As long as I was moving, that was okay, but stuck in traffic where I couldn't pull over into a comfortable area became the requirement. Now, I can't even tolerate being stopped at a red light.

However, I've not experienced a panic attack as severe as the one you described.
deleted_user
deleted_user

yes I have I blacked out for a second on the interstate, that was my first trip to er. I still cant dive on interstate to this day. sorry not much encouragement but I do feel ur pain.
harry3333
harry3333

it can be too dangerous to drive with your panic attacks out of control

panic attacks can be controlled with valium and prozac
deleted_user
deleted_user

I avoid highway as much as possible, I can only drive if I know the next exit is 1 mile away, longer exist I panick, I used to have intense panick attacks but with meds it's helping. Avoid Sodas, Cafeine, Sweet to avoid Blood Presssure spikes.

I wish you all the best, take care.. you are not alone.
TroJanThunder
TroJanThunder

Im really glad im not working right now because I knew I had no business in a car today!

I heard somewhere a panic attack only lasts 30 minutes! HUH??????

I think the last one I had lasted a good three days!!!
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am also anxious about driving alone-if I am with somebody its not a problem. When driving alone I try and make sure I am safe to the best of my abilities and feel comfort with having a phone close-tuning the radio to talk radio etc. little fiddling distractions can help pass the drive and before you know it you are at your destination.
deleted_user
deleted_user

That happens to me. What works for me when I'm have a bad panic attack, I pull over and say to myself If this is going to happen lets get this over with so I can get on with my day. It seems when you take control it eases the panic tremendously.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi, I am new to the community. Moaz, you and I have the same type of panic attacks. I am most likely older than most here and have had a little experience along the way with them. I began having panic attacks when I was a young woman but didn't realize what they were. They were few and far between. I cared for my husband who had Alzheimer's for several years before he passed. About a year after he his death I began having severe attacks and mostly always when I was driving. Moaz, almost like yours but I have to fight hard not to jump out of he car in trafficc and run!!! It's the fight or flight symptom. I have also found that if someone is very hyper and rattles on it can send me into panic also.A symptom I have had all of my life ( since being stuck in an elevator between floors at the age of 12) is clostrophopia. Being stuck in traffic is the feeling of being closed in. I look forward to learning about and telling about what I experience and how I try to combat it. I wish you all well and have a good evening ( :
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • nana012

I have cancer

I had to have a lung biopsy, and I have cancer. A very rare form that doesn't have any standard treatment. There just isn't a lot of case history for this. It is epithelioid hemangio endothelioma. The cancer support group doesn't talk every day. I can understand why. I'm waiting for the oncologist to call back for an appointment, and will hear in the next few days. Who knew. Ha!
  • cinben

uti

so mom started feeling warm to me-normally her hands are like ice!I spoke w/dr. and took a urine sample in the office,im hoping a uti is the culprit,shes had them in the past.Maybe thats what accounts for the lack of appetite,malaise etc..