Meningitis Support Group

Meningitis is inflammation of the membranes (meninges) covering the brain and the spinal cord. Although the most common causes are infection (bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitic), chemical agents and even tumor cells may cause meningitis. Meningitis can produce a wide range of symptoms including fever, headache or confusion and in extreme cases, deafness, brain damage, stroke, seizures or even death.

0 Online
  • hafeezah

Acyclovir and post meningitis headache

I had meningitis and encephalitis secondary to herpes 2 virus and was hospitalized for a week, early this year.  Since then, when I become fatigued I have a bad, indescribable headache.  The ONLY thing that has helped, is a resumption of acyclovir, oral for 14 days or so.....I cannot describe the relief I get....I highly recommend it.
  • i have been recovering from chemical meningitis caused by gadolinium contrast for the past nine months.  My head still rings and my vision changes by the hour.  I still have brain fog and pain.  Anybody out there that has had gadolinium chemical meningitis ?  My doctors have never treated anyone for this problem.  I need some help.  Thanks, Gadboy
  • DRC

bacterial meningitis after effects. I need support

Hi, I was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis 4 months ago and still suffer from migraines and a severe sore throat. Is this normal?
  • I am currently a full time student on a Pre-access course with a view to apply to University and train as an adult nurse.As part of this course I have to undertake a research project. I am researching what are the behavioural, cognitive and emotional impacts of having meningitis and septicaemia at a young age? After having meningitis and septicemia as a nine moth old baby I was left deaf in one...
  • deleted_user

Vertigo

I got bacteria meningitis and admitted to the hospital on June 8, 2011. I got out of the hospital June 28, 2011. Since than I have had vertigo on and off. I now have had it for 1 1/2 weeks. Has anyone else have this? What did you do? Thanks
  • deleted_user

infant neonatal meningitis

I am 32 years old, a few days after I was born- 1981 I was diagnosed with strep B blood infection, before leaving the hospital, I was then admitted into the ICU. All my life I have been affected by the after effects of the disease.I have always had- long-term problems with learning, memory, thinking or reasoning skills. Difficulty in concentration, coordination issues, Tremors (hands & body)My...
  • deleted_user

Help with Post menningities headache

I had Menningocus Menningities In 1961 with sperticima.About 1972 I deveopled a sudden onset headache that immediatley became a chronic daily headache since then. I am aware that Post Menniingites Headache can oocur right aftermenningities even though the condition is supposedly treated. Has anyone heard that ithta is possible to develop a headache 11 years later that is related to the...
  • deleted_user

Postmeningitis Headache

Hi,I have just formed a new group for those suffering from post-meningitisheadaches. I personally have this condition and have not found anythingspecific for it, so I decided to dedicate a new group for it. If youhave chronic headaches associated with meningitis, please feel free tocheck out this group for resources, info, and...
  • deleted_user

wanting a diagnosis

I am currently working in Kenya with some children with disabilities and have one little girl who had meningitis about 1 year ago, she is now 2 years old and severely disabled. I was wondering if you would be familiar with her condition as she has been wrongly diagnosed on many occasions and has been given the wrong medication numerous times. She has involuntary contractions in her whole body...
  • deleted_user

help my aunt get over this

my cousin just collapsed on last Wednesday , brain dead , life support was taken away on Friday , she was 35 would have been 36 , on same day life support ended she leaves behind a 7 yr old boy wondering when his mom is coming home from hospital, I don't know what her husband and all will tell him , I told my aunt that the truth is best , they should have let son go say goodbye to his mom in her...
  • deleted_user

I was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis...

When I was around three months old (in 1986), I was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis. From what my mother has told me, the doctors had said I had the worst case in the entire hospital and one of the worst cases to date (again, 1986). They tried an experimental drug and it took time, but I was alive. The doctor said that there could be long term side effects and after effects. At the age of 25,...
  • deleted_user

mom died in the 80s of this

My mom refused or didn't realize she needed care and died in 1985 of spinal meningitus. I was a very young girl (almost 6), and I remember she was in bed with a "bad headache" and throwing up like she had the flu for about a week, she must've had a sore neck too, and she couldn't get out of bed. A family friend bought her to the hospital after a week of her "being in bed" and she died in the...
  • deleted_user

could i have this?

hi, i usually use this for the anxiety blog but was going thru the list and stopped here. i had viral meningitis when i was 10 and it floored me. spent a week in the hospital. was really fine after that but i have dealt with depression, anxiety and worst of all, fatigue my whole adult life. i also have vertigo and really bad ear ringing. as far as the fatigue goes there were some years in my mid...
  • deleted_user

post m personality changes

has anyone who had meningitis as an adult noticed personality changes in your self or have others noticed same in you?
  • deleted_user

Ever since meningitis

I have had memory loss, I get horrible headaches, i cant move around too much without getting headaches, I dont have anyone to talk too, the hospital never gave me any resources, I don't have insurance, and there arent many free support groups where i live, i need to communicate with someone else who knows how this feels, I used to have excellent memory, top of all my classes in school, and the...