Meniere's Disease Support Group

Meniere's disease is a balance disorder of the inner ear. The symptoms of Meniere's are variable; not all sufferers experience the same symptoms. However, "classic Meniere's" is considered to comprise the following four symptoms: Periodic episodes of rotary vertigo, hearing loss, tinnitus, and a sensation of fullness or pressure in one or both ears.

0 Online

Sever Pressure in Head

Hello Everyone,
I have been experienceing severe pressure in my head. not one particular area, just all over. Almost like my head is full of fluid and it's trying to escape. Do any of you feel this too? I know about the pressure in the ears, this is just something new lately.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

i, too, sometimes feel pressure in my head. yesterday it had started at the top of my head and then in the evening, i felt a heaviness (and almost like a really light burning sensation) across the base of my skull in the back. i joined the group just to see if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms.
deleted_user
deleted_user

sometimes i feel like i have a pressure helmet on and i experience pain in the back of my neck or random pain in my head.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I too get that severe pressure in my head and face most often in the mornings when i wake up. I find that taking a hot shower helps relieve it (if not all the way at least enough for me to function).
deleted_user
deleted_user

I also get the tight pressure in my head as well as the ear pressure. It is usually at the top of my spine/base of skull. I also suffer from regular numbness/tingling on my face/ lips?? Sometimes it is on 1 side and sometimes all over, I have not yet had an explanation for this.?? Any takers for a reply lol :-) x
deleted_user
deleted_user

me too! i was diagnosed over a year ago but only recently did the overall head pressure become so noticeable. i feel like some huge force of gravity is pushing me down and it's kind of scary. the weird thing is that i get these now even without vertigo. and it definitely seems to increase in frequency the more i try to do physical labor. sometimes i wonder if i could have been misdiagnosed and i have some kind of brain tumor, although the rest of my symptoms are classic meniere's. :(
catalinav
catalinav

I too thought I was diagnosed, but I have seen a neurologist and have had several MRI's and other than a small cyst on pituatiry gland they say everything looks normal. I like you have the pressure on my head without the dizziness, its really weird, also do any of you who have this pressure have problems with pillows? If I do not have a super soft pillow, with the pressure, my head will hurt all night long, very uncomfortable!!!!!!!!!!!
calady50
calady50

Oh yes, I feel the pressure and see swelling alongside my ear and down my throat on the one side often:( Also the pain at the top of my skull! I'm going to go get checked as I have a dent in my forehead now.. I also get very dry mouth while sleeping:(
I read people are getting shunts in their ears and I wonder if that helps with the fluid?
Squarley
Squarley

Hello, yes I to have that strange pressure ,sometime I feel I am going to fall over,this is so wierd. My eyes always hurt with this and I feel off balance a little any one else like that , so many thing going on ,ringing in ears, I have had the cat scans and mri,so it must be the MD. My pillow also has to be soft any lump hurts . Any one have any thing that helps ? many hugs to you all Squarley
deleted_user
deleted_user

I too suffer with the pressure in my head. It does make my eyes hurt really bad...usually it gets so bad I end up bedridden for at least a day.

catalinav - I also have a cyst on my pituitary gland. As for the pillow...I could not use a pillow due to cervical spine damage. Even after fusion surgery (c2-c3 with disc bulge still remaining between c1-c2), i can only use a very flat pillow if any at all. I have found that lying on my belly with the part of my head that is experiencing the most pain/pressure turned towards the mattress helps. But, feeling "neck headaches" along with numbing or tingling/weakness of limbs or body parts is always cause to get your spine checked. Also, Ibuprofan (especially RX strength) was the only thing that would give me any relief from
the headache and pain, even above prescription pain killers. Hope this helps :)

I just recently joined this site...and I am so amazed at how similar your experiences are to mine with the MD. Everybody speaks of issues that I've been trying to explain to my friends & family with no luck...they don't seem to understand. this group makes me feel normal. Thank you all :)

By the way...does MD have different degrees of intensity, like stages? I've met 3 people with MD, and 1 seems to suffer as much as I do, while the other 2 made me feel like i"m a crybaby...that this disease really isn't bad enough to be considered to change quality of life.

sorry so long...in time I'm sure I'll learn enough to stop being a pest ;)
deleted_user
deleted_user

i think it definitely has degrees and I know how disconcerting it can be to meet those who have it very mildly and they look at you like you're ridiculous. But I know how you feel, trust me. Mine is very bad and quite disabling--although I was denied disability when I originally applied. I used to have some good days but there are almost no days now where I don't experience some degree of vertigo and/or pain. sometimes I WISH it were a brain tumor b/c then maybe it would be operable and I could be cured. (joking. sort of. maybe not) lol.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Boy do I agree with Slapfoster....brain tumors seem to receive compassion & concern, MD...gets "but, you look great!" Sounds horrible for me to say this, but I do feel this disease is under estimated and overlooked.
calady50
calady50

It certainly is frustrating the way doctors treat us...When I went to see the "physician assistant" for the dent in my forehead, he spent all his time lecturing me about meniere's tho I TOLD him I've had it for 5 years now! Makes U feel like a freak but he never even xrayed my head!?
I've also submitted several articles to women's magazines about MD and usually my writings get printed but nope?? I won't give up tho!
catalinav
catalinav

Wow it is amazying how much you all help me with your feedback. I have come to realize that I am not a whiner! I have come to realize that people get tired of hearig how bad I feel, and I think I am just whining. I get depressed and have short cry spells. I always hide when I do this because I dont want anyone to know how I feel, especially at work. How bad is that? My family always start their conversations with, "How are you feeling?" How are you suppose to answer that when your dizzy on a daily basis?
deleted_user
deleted_user

I can relate to the depression and tears. I've had my share over this. And yes, people want us (I think) to say we're feeling better, but it's not a cold--it's not going to just go away. I keep saying what this disease needs is for a celebrity to be struck with it so that they can bring attention to it and more money will then be raised for research. And along with that, I think there would be more compassion. :)
homeogenic
homeogenic

I agree with what you guys are saying. I almost fell down/passed our/ had a drop attack in the hall at work last night and everyone was like "what's wrong? You look ok...why are you falling over? You probably just need some water" had to explain MD to all my Coworkers...a group of nurses!!!! This is so frustrating!!! I just wish there was something- anything that could be done. I was talking with my husband yesterday about this topic and he said "I would much rather be crippled and have to use a wheelchair than have what you have. At least people then wouldn't expect you to do things you can't do!" it made me think... I don't care about pity or anything like that, I just want to be understood and not expected to perform tasks I can't do!! Hoping for better days for all of us...