MCTD Support Group

Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) or Sharp's syndrome is a human autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks the body. MCTD combines features of polymyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and systemic scleroderma and is thus considered an overlap syndrome. MCTD commonly causes joint pain/swelling, Raynaud phenomenon, muscle inflammation, and scarring of the skin of the hand.

0 Online

Pills or Injections - Plaquenil

I previously wrote: I’m going to start Plaquenil and was wondering whether injections or pills work better.  UGH...my brain is NOT what it used to be! I meant to say “I’m going to start Metheltrexate and was wondering if injections are better than pills.”  Thanks!

Replies

MToennis
MToennis

I never took injections. Did not even know this was an option. However, I did take Plaquenil for about 10 years. I found it really helped with the pain and fatigue. You have to be patient though. It takes a good 6 weeks to begin to feel the difference and it comes on slowly. I did not realize how much it helped until I had to go off of it. I had some heart problems that could have been caused by the Plaquenil, but probably not and some eye issues that they are still not sure of the cause. Most side effects dont occur for about 7-10 years and are supposed to be rare. But it can really upset your stomach. You HAVE to eat with it. I took it in the middle of a meal or I would end up with nausea. It is worse at first then gets better after 10 days or so. Good luck.
Mary Ann
hearthappy2017
hearthappy2017

Thank you so much! I was just diagnosed with MCTD in December and had an allergic reaction to all the other drugs.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • Aerokal

Feeling a bit at the end of the line...

Hi. My name is Pam. I've replied to a couple of posts, but basically am new here. So happy to meet you, although wish it wasn't due to this!I've been widowed since 48, now in my mid-fifties, with 2 grown daughters, one with severe Crohns and fibro, the other with IBD. I was initially dx'd with Raynaud's, fibro, RA, and recently MCTD w/lupus. I had been on Enbrel x 2 yrs, Cymzia X 1, now Humira...
  • MToennis

for ba1974

Just so you dont think we are ignoring you, I cannot post a reply to your post. I wrote a very profound letter (LOL) today to you and finally lost it after trying to get it to post for several hours. I tried again and it again went away! I have had this happen before on this site. Anyway, welcome. I will do a better response later when my brain is rested.Mary Ann