Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Support Group

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) is a urinary bladder disease of unknown cause characterised by pelvic and intense bladder pain, urinary frequency (as often as every 10 minutes), and pain with urination. It is not unusual for patients to experience nocturia and pain with sexual intercourse. IC is also known as painful bladder syndrome (PBS), particularly outside of the USA.

0 Online
0 Online

Baking soda to ease flare-up?

I have heard drinking a mixture of baking soda and water will ease the pain of an ic flare up...is this true? Does anyone have the recipe (if it is true)? If this is not true, are there any suggestions that will give me some relief?
Thanks so much~

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

It is true. A teaspoon in water does the trick. But Baking Soda is not very good for you all of the time. I would suggest taking Prelief a supplement that takes the acid out of food. It basically does the same thing. But every now and then if I am in a bad flare I do the baking soda.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I tried 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in 1 cup water a couple nights ago. I had to gag it down but it did take the edge off. Good luck to you.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes it taste's terrible I hold my nose when I drink it. Lol
deleted_user
deleted_user

Do you think I could take it ? I am having bladder rinses

http://www.cystistat.com/en/about.html

and they have started to work on me...less pain and freqeuncy to go to loo...but and I don't know why I am having a flare out of the blue right now....1st in 2 weeks since rinses started

do you think baking soda would do harm to the layer that is building up in my bladder ???

mind you if it is anti acid I guess it won't hurt....

desperate here
deleted_user
deleted_user

Baking soda doesnt do a thing for me, neither does the prelief. I just try to stick to the diet, but when I do get a flare I have a pain med that does help LauraK
deleted_user
deleted_user

A teaspoon of baking soda in a small glass of water will help you. I repeat it every couple hours until I get relief. Have been doing this for 30 years as soon as I have a flare which is not often these days.
deleted_user
deleted_user

helps me a lot...

it tastes gross but it's worth it...

I've tried pre-lief also but it seems for me... that the baking soda works better... I'm not sure why
deleted_user
deleted_user

Yes it does help. My Uro told me to get Sodium Bicarbonate tablets as they are the same thing but MUCH more pleasant than gagging down the baking soda in water. You can get them at the pharmacy (they are behind the pharmacy counter, but you do not need a prescription) My uro suggested taking two tablets at bedtime (along with an aloe vera tablet) and I have found it to be helpful. She did suggest only taking the sodium bicarbonate at bedtime though as it can interfere with digestion.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I am going to give it a try.
deleted_user
deleted_user

SADLY IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME ;(

I SENT MY FAMILY ON A WORLD SEARCH LOL..THEY FOUND IT, I TOOK IT...WAITED NOTHING

BUT I DO WISH THE REST OF YOU WELL

TAKE CARE U DON'T TAKE TOO MUCH.MY DR SAID IT IS REAL BAD FOR YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND

JANICE?
deleted_user
deleted_user

I must add, when I went to the hossy and tolf them this that you all take...they were very intrested and are going to study thst'''

look at this...people across great oceans helping each other

FANTASTIC
SonicSue
SonicSue

How do i take the sodium bicarbonate?...pill or powder? or does it matter?
deleted_user
deleted_user

I asked at the pharmacy and they said they do not have it so I don't know about pill. But baking soda is sodium bicabonate and you by it at the store 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon not too much it can be bad for you. I only do it every now and then when I am in a bad flare. I hold my nose because it tastes bad.
lindahoward7
lindahoward7

The baking soda and water always helps me -
neutralizes the ph - takes the acid out of
bladder.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I took just a 1/4 of a teaspoon in a juice glass....not too bad. I think it helps.