Hypothyroidism Support Group

Hypothyroidism is the disease state caused by insufficient production of thyrohormone by the thyroid gland. There are several distinct causes for chronic hypothyroidism, the most common being Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism following radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroidism. Advanced hypothyroidism may cause severe complications, the most serious one of which is myxedema.

0 Online

Started NP Thyroid and having anxiety attacks

Hi everyone,

I just started thyroid meds, taking 30mg NP thyroid. I've had what feels like anxiety attacks/heart palps most of the day. Is this just my body getting used to the hormones? Should I start at a lower dose for a while?

I appreciate any help anyone provides! Thanks!

Replies

Rocketride
Rocketride

I had similar issues with my thyroid medication. I was prescribed 88mcg Levothyroxine. It was making me feel dizzy, jittery, hand tremors, and a pounding heart. After a month I couldn't take it anymore so I cut the dose in half and most of the bad symptoms left or occur less often. I would give it a few weeks to see if you get used to the new medication. You should let your doctor know what is going on if you haven't already. Good luck.
iamheretoo
iamheretoo

I was started at 150 mcg when I had my throidectomy. The dose was too high and I had heart palpitations. They lowered my dose and the palpitations stopped. So, your dose might just be too high. But you should definitely let your dr know.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • fran101

afraid of men .. ?

i just feel REALLY uncomfortable around men. i feel like theyre always watching me and it causes me to have panic attacks.
  • Mat001

I've hit rock bottom, & need to know it'll be okay

I've been strong and brave for years now, but now I am breaking down.I know my story isn't compelling or unique but there is undeniable need for me to share it with anybody who is willing to listen. it's a rather long read, and I wrote it more like a journal entry-cum-life summary. Please be patient. I am in my early 20s, and had a pretty disturbed childhood. I saw a lot of violence - physical,...