Hypothyroidism Support Group

Hypothyroidism is the disease state caused by insufficient production of thyrohormone by the thyroid gland. There are several distinct causes for chronic hypothyroidism, the most common being Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism following radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroidism. Advanced hypothyroidism may cause severe complications, the most serious one of which is myxedema.

0 Online

Hypo advice needed

In March 2017 my TSH was 4.0.  In May, 2017 I discovered my TSH was 8.7.  This was the first time my TSH level had been abnormal. I was prescribed Levothyroxine 88mcg.  Now (July 2017) my TSH is 1.95. I am concerned that to continue the medication will drive into the hyper range. The medication gives me severe side effects.  Should I just start taking half the dose and retest in a few weeks? Should I stop altogether.  By Doctor is of no help.  Any feedback is appreciated. 

Replies

Lone_Wolf
Lone_Wolf

What kind of side effects are you having? See if your doctor will prescribe you natural desiccated thyroid instead. Since I was diagnosed hypothyroid in March (with a TSH of over 10), I've been taking that, without any side effects, and have increased my dosage such that my latest TSH reading is 0.34. I have no hyperthyroid symptoms either.