Hypothyroidism Support Group

Hypothyroidism is the disease state caused by insufficient production of thyrohormone by the thyroid gland. There are several distinct causes for chronic hypothyroidism, the most common being Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hypothyroidism following radioiodine therapy for hyperthyroidism. Advanced hypothyroidism may cause severe complications, the most serious one of which is myxedema.

0 Online

Close to losing my job

I was put on T4 about 4 yrs ago and added T3 about 1 yr ago. T4 did very little to alleviate many symptoms, but T3 has improved my quality of life by 1000%. The problem is, I continue to have memory problems and am having a lot of trouble at work with errors which cost my company money.

One bit of information I've gleaned through my self-education is that T3 carries oxygen from the blood stream into the cells of the body where metabolism happens. If this is true, then hypothyroidism is basically oxygen deprivation in every cell of the body including the brain cells. We all know what happens to the brain when deprived of oxygen for too long - cell death. And brain cells are not replaced when they die, unlike all the other cells of the body.

What I'm getting at is that I'm very afraid that I have suffered irreparable brain damage which I'm not going to recover from and will continue to make errors at work which will result in my eventual dismissal. My company is aware of my health problems and are trying to work with me to improve my performance, but they will only continue with that so far before they give up on me.

Does anyone have experience with losing a job because of their hypothyroidism? I'm looking for any advise on how to protect myself. Are there any programs out there to help me?

Replies

Marsh1953
Marsh1953

I believe that thyroid hormones change because of what and how much we eat.Low iron and stress do effect my thyroid hormones.So sorry you are going through this
ElleS22
ElleS22

I had brain fog and cognitive issues terribly that spanned for months. I was extremely upset because I needed to interview for a new job and thought how in the world am I going to learn new things?! My therapist recommend a supplement called Ashwagandha Root. Gaia is the brand I use comes in 60 liquid phyto-caps which you take 2x a day. I went from forgetful, not recollecting word/phrases to remembering and having intelligent fog free conversations again. I find this at my local hippie health food store. It's also sold at Whole Foods and online. Stick to this regimen twice a day and you should notice results. It's wonderful! Good luck xx
Lone_Wolf
Lone_Wolf

I don't think you've suffered brain damage. I was pretty hypothyroid before I discovered what the problem was back in March. My doctor prescribed me natural desiccated thyroid and we've fine-tuned the dose over the past few months. My brain fog has lifted and I'm feeling a lot better in all respects.
I think hypothyroidism simply slows down your metabolism a lot. Think of an animal in hibernation. They don't suffer brain damage, yet their metabolism slows down a lot more than ours did when hypothyroid. Go easy on yourself. The more you worry about memory, the worse it'll be to recall things.
energylost
energylost

Ralpert, I experienced almost losing a job because of the brain fog, short-term memory loss resulting in not being able to keep up with the standards.

One solution that has really, Really worked for me is --and you're not going to believe this is --BREATHING EXERCISES. Yes, Breathing. Breathing brings oxygenated blood to ALL parts of the body. By breathing thru your nose it travels very fast. The day that I discovered this, I did it all day long and felt a difference, definitely by the third day. I also failed in school because of these symptoms and had to drop the program. This REALLY WORKS--to get rid of migraines, muscle cramps, depression, nauseousness, relaxation, anxiety. In the beginning I did the exercise all day and now I do it 5 times a day or more.

Dr. Andrew Weil-Tutorial 4-7-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wg-UAYGa2A
energylost
energylost

Ralpert, another solution, have ALL your hormones checked, insist on this. I say this because this cleared up part of the problem. I learned ALL hormones work together and pretty much RUN the body including the brain; the brain is nothing without hormone. Once I got on progesterone, estrogen and testosterone, I no longer need Levo or Armour. Research the symptoms when the levels are low.

Another thing I had going on was ADRENAL FATIGUE which mimics hypothyrodism, hashimoto. I have CHRONIC STRESS so I re-live the symptoms. I had 3 doctors helping me. I bought the hormones from a Compounding Pharmacy so the pharmacist there wanted to treat me and gave me powerful vitamins, NOT a medical drug. I learned that vitamins B & C are depleted during CHRONIC stress so These powerful vitamins re-store my health many times over. I can cut back when there is less stress and during chronic stress I can increase the dose but they work wonders. I strongly recommend to research Adrenal Fatigue. Dr. James Wilson also has a website and also has a questionnaire that you might like to take. The vitamins seem to work like a medical drug for me because contain so many that we need. I had fallen apart, I could barely function after a chronic stressful episode, it took 2 hours to me back together; this is how powerful these are.

For me, ALL of this works together.

I also invested in Sea Kelp supplements, which have Iodine, it feels like they clear up the brain fog, I feel a clearer mind and add energy so I take it no later than 2 p.m. You could invest in kale or kelp.

A Compounding Pharmacy can also mix the Iodine solution for you and probly will tell you how much to take. You probly will need an appointment; I paid $35 and never had to return -- she fixed me like NO other doctor ever had. I suffered for years with Brain fog (2004-2014) My brain doesn't feel damaged.
energylost
energylost

I would like to add--Breathing exercises got rid of Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) for me, it can relax you and get you back to sleep if you wake up at night.
energylost
energylost

Ralpert, Also, if your ELECTROLYTES are low one of the symptoms is concentration problems so you might be suffering from this also. Usually low-concentration and short-term memory problems go together. If you want to check this website out for more info. Load up on knowledge so you have an idea on what to work on.

https://draxe.com/electrolyte-imbalance/
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • collectordeb

looking for information

my name is debbie and im from mn. i have been struggling with cfs for over 30 yrs. i've been unable to locate a dr in the twin cities area that specializes in cfs. im hoping one of you will be able to give me a reccommendation. thanks so much!
  • Rosi

Could use some moral support

Well,  in addition to CFS I also have this MGUS 'thing'.   I am in the process of awaiting some test results from a biopsy which was     done last week.   They will be checking blood disease and iron and such.   Those results will take 3 more weeks.  My energy levels      have dropped quite a bit.   So,  have my red blood cells.    For some reason,  I answered a personal...