Hyperparathyroidism Support Group

Hyperparathyroidism is overactivity of the parathyroid glands resulting in excess production of parathyroid hormone (PTH). Increased PTH consequently leads to increased serum calcium (hypercalcemia) due to 1) increased bone resorption, allowing flow of calcium from bone to blood, 2) reduces renal clearance of calcium, and 3) increases intestinal calcium absorption.

1 Online
  • joshg

Hi Everybody

I've recently been diagnosed with Primary Hyperparathyroidism, I'm a 42 year old male.  This has been a really tough past couple of years and am glad to finally have an idea as to what has been causing a number of different health issues that all seemed unrelated to my primary care doctor though I always felt like they were somehow connected.I'm looking to connect with people who've shared...
  • aleasha

High calcium in blood

So I’m looking for a little advice and this looks like the place to get it. My blood work came back with my calcium at 11.3 and my PTH at 36 within normal range. I have almost all of the symptoms for   Hyperparathyroidism. I have fatigue, nausea,abdominal and body pain.  For no apparent reason I have had fertility problems and I feel Like something is majorly wrong but no one will listen. I...
  • MsJulesD

Muscle Strength and Hypercalcemia

Hello. Do any of you experience muscle weakness and fatigue while working out? Is building muscle difficult?I've had hyperparathyroidism for years, however, my endo said drink lots of water and don't worry (blood calcium in the 10s). I'm now 51 and recently began feeling bad. No energy, difficulty exercising in my group fitness classes, lots of aches and pains. I haven't slept well in years. I...
  • sunlvr

HPT and heart attack

I was recently diagnosed with HPT. Was just told I will need surgery. Also have had hypothyroid for many years. I had a heart attack in April with no prior heart disease or cardiac issues.I have also found out I have an adrenal mass. Now I am wondering if the HPT could have brought on the heart attack. Has anyone else had this happen to them or heard of this happening?
  • weebee8

NEW and SCARED with LOTS of QUESTIONS

Hi everyone, I am a leukemia survivor since 2003,Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease and IgAN warrior and possible hyperparathyroid?  Reading on several good sites - seems like this should be easy my PHT = 72  Calcium 10.3  Vit D 20  - I have so many symptoms that i did not know most of them could be from HPT. Heart rate has gone LOW  43ish stays there - very tired and sleepy , so much leg and...
  • deleted_user

Vitamin K2

Is anyone taking vitamin K2 to help with calcium absorption? I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism in Jan this year. I'm 41 years old and at the moment I am taking 800 iu of vitamin D. What dose of vit D does everyone else take?
  • cassie305

Elevated calcium two months post-op

Hello All,I am looking for some advice/help/support.  I had parathyroid surgery on May 23rd.  My PTH levels dropped from 140 pre-op to 28 right after the adenoma was removed.  One week after surgery my calcium was 9.1 but PTH went back up to 96.  My surgeon's nurse said that it takes time for levels to adjust.  Well, I met with my endo this past Monday (8 weeks post op) and had more blood...
  • Tiah

Failed operation and negative scans

i have been suffering with HPT for nearly 3 years and the last 2 years my symptoms have got worse. I had a failed op 1 year ago no glands removed but something was removed which turned out to be a carving from the main thyroid. I am now under a London hospital who confirms the diagnosis even though numerous different scans are negative. Yesterday I had venous sampling with angiogram and they...
  • Beanbit

U of M Priority Parathyroid Program

Has anyone had surgery at U of M?  Can you tell me how was your experience.  I am now being considered for the "priority" program, and I know I have to do something.Also, can you tell me if you gained weight after the surgery?  It sounds terrible I know, but I am terrified of gaining weight.Thank you everyone.
  • deleted_user

Neurocardio genetic syncope

does anyone else out there also have this disorder....as it appears several people have "heart flutterings & "mental haze"...my endo says they are not related....however sounds as though several people have similar symptons...this also causes insomia which seems to correlate with hyperparathyroidism....just kinda wondering...
  • merlin11

Colonoscopy & Hypoparathyroidism

Hi there,I am new to this group and my parathyroids have not worked for 10 years due to having my thryoid removed.  I am doing ok managing both my hypoparathryoidism and hypothryroidism. I am having a colonoscopy on Monday and I am very anxious about the "bowel prep" tomorrow and concerned about my calcium level dropping. Last fall I had a bad case of the flu and my electrolytes got all messed...
  • Nessie

Relapse reoperation

Hello,In 2001 initial operation for PHPT: adenoma removed. Papillary-follicular cancer of thyroid was detected. Second operation, total thyroidectomy and RAI (radioactive iodine) 150 miCu. One parathyroid was saved.In 2013 PHPT going up and down, calcium just within limits and then too high. Again PHPT but I have only 1 parathyroid left. Severe osteoporosis -3.9 and severe psychological problems...
  • Beanbit

Burning Feet - Hyperparathyroidism

Hi everyone, I am so glad to find this support group.I am a pretty healthy 56 year old woman normal weight and height.  Not diabetic.  For the past two years I have had HORRIBLE burning feet.  Now let me state that I have a high pain threshold, but this is incredible.  Like a 9 on a pain scale.  Washing them in cold water and getting the sweat off them seems to help, but it come back...
  • newmecomin

Hyperparathyroidism - Weight loss

Has anyone had problems losing weight, despite healthy diet and exercise with this disease?
  • AuntieRows

Doctor feedback

New to the group.  Not sure if this question is allowed, so please delete the question, not me, if it is not.Wondering if anyone in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area is familiar with Dr. Mark Sneider who is an endo surgeon with Allina.  If so, feedback appreciated.Thank you.