Hepatitis C Support Group
Hepatitis C is a blood-borne viral disease which can cause liver inflammation, fibrosis, cirrhosis and liver cancer. The hepatitis C virus (HCV) is spread by blood-to-blood contact with an infected person's blood. Many people with HCV infection have no symptoms and are unaware of the need to seek treatment. Hepatitis C infects an estimated 150-200 million people worldwide.
The levels you posted seem to be within normal range which is good.
Glad you will see a hepatologist in dec, as there are new CURES becoming available starting at that time and into 2015 depending on your genotype.
Don't let any doc talk you into doing Interferon treatment at this point in time. It's hellish compared to new all oral drugs and has a lesser cure rate. any doc reccomending interferon is not up on the latest.
I am counting on the new treatments and will definitely bring it up if they don't.
My mother did STRAIGHT interferon back in the early 90's, three injections a week! I watched what it did to her at around my age at the time (13/14) and it was terrible. She talked about being cold no matter how warm it was in the house, how many blankets she had on her, or how warm it was outside. She said it was like being knocked over by the flu, plus she had to see a therapist and have meds for depression and nightmares. I know she did the treatment for 6 months with no success. She won't tell me the details cause she has been crabby the last several years. Unfortunately she also has hemochromatosis (genetic, parents) and has to have blood let out every so many months.
I hope that when I go to my appt, she will get some helpful info as well, though she tends to be a paranoid cynic. I hope she can change that sometime: she already had a heart attack, so she should be more full of a "second life" attitude, but she isn't lol. When I tell her about this appt, I'm almost sure she will say something negative....the time, money (mainly if insurance won't pay for it), and her having to help/care for me when I go through treatment. She is a HUGE reason that I reached out to all on DS because you guys are much more understanding and positive/friendly than she is and I needed the nicer energy. :)
Thanks guys!
Also like you my regular liver function tests were normal as was a liver scan.
Don't convince yourself into thinking that those two good pieces of news mean you don't have to do anything, it just means there's no crisis looming over you
Without a crisis it makes sense to wait for milder treatment
joe
@ Joe, It would seem that all those interferon shots you had that you would have had it become resistant? Wow, I salute you! And, I fully intend to get rid of it with the new meds, so if the Hep doc gives me a fibroscan/sure test hopefully not a biopsy though I might be brave enough to do it now, especially if it is a good doc and newer machines, etc.
I am a G1a, for some reason I thought G2s were/are easier to treat? I could be mistaken about that too.
Sofos sounds good right about now, and it will be here before we know it. Plus, we will one day be able to CHOOSE which meds to take with all the companies trying out their own "brand" without even looking twice at the interferon (if still available then...) option!
Love,
LOVE