Gastric Bypass Surgery Support Group

Gastric bypass (GBP) is any of a group of similar operative procedures used to treat morbid obesity, a condition which arises from severe accumulation of excess weight in the form of fatty tissue, and the health problems ("co-morbidities") which result. If you are considering gastric bypass or have had it, join the community where we share our experiences and find support.

0 Online
0 Online

Am I eating enough

I had GBP on 12/09/11, 3 weeks ago. I have no appetite. I had 1 protein drink, a sccrambled egg, a tbs peanut butter and dinner tonight i had a quarter of a sweet potato and maybe an ounce of grilled steak. Am I eating enough?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

sounds like enough to me. i always feel like i am eating too much but i can't handle more than one scrambled egg (usually with a slice of cheese on it) in one sitting.
Lcat4
Lcat4

If you get your 60 g protein in you are eating enough. If you don't get it with food you need to be drinking it! Protein melts fat and water flushes it! Both are important to your success.
deleted_user
deleted_user

What about your lunch? That sounds like enough at the two meals but it is important to eat three times a day to help prevent the body from going into hard core starvation mode and holding weight. Basicly creating a stall in your weight loss.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Be careful - at 3 weeks I couldn't have handled grilled steak! Worry more about the protein grams than how much you are eating.

You won't have an appetite for months - if you are lucky. Just get as much protein and water in every day as you can. The rest will come in time.
lineka
lineka

than you, i couldnt handle the steak either,working on getting the protein in. I just hate the shakes
deleted_user
deleted_user

What other shakes have tried... Keep trying new ones until you find one you do like... GNC has several different ones and if you do not like them will let you return... But they have a power that is 30 grams of protein, 3.5 grams of carbs , .5 of sugar. That onky 8 oz of water to google . It was the only one I truly like. Keep trying until you find one you do like.
lippy74
lippy74

Wow I am 8 weeks out and my doctor still hasn't approved me for steak and peanut butter. My day consists of

Breakfast 8 oz protein shake
lunch 1 oz cheese and a veggie chick strip
snack cheese stick
dinner 2 oz chicken apple sauce.
snack 8 oz protein shake.

Most of the time I can not finish all my dinner.
I go back to the doctor on the 28th and I am hoping they let me have more of a verity of food. I would love to be eating peanut butter.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I was told today that I could eat regular food today, so I ate alittle baked chicken and rice but it still felt like it was way too much even though it was a little. My nut told me to listen to my stomach try to get your protiens in as much as you can but if you feel full just stop. It sounds to me like your getting enough.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Wow that seems like a good amt. and variety. I have trouble eating too, just not that hungry. Today I had an egg, refried beans both fit in a two ounce cup, some of my protein shake, and some cream of chicken soup 2 oz. Water, and crystal light (sips). And I'm on my fourth week post surgery.
debsue123
debsue123

Sounds like you are eating enough for me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Are you keeping a food journal? I don't think you are eating enough protein.

I see this post is pretty old, so I am sure you are figuring things out.. But I would drop the peanut butter, a high calorie fat and sweet potato, a carb in favor of some cottage cheese, ricotta cheese or even string cheese..