Essential Tremor Support Group

Essential Tremor (ET) is a neurological disorder characterized by shaking of hands (and sometimes other parts of the body including the head), evoked by intentional movements. The incidence is unknown, but is estimated to be as common as one person in 20, and it is the most common type of tremor and also the most commonly observed movement disorder.

0 Online
  • Hi everybody, I'm 22 I was born with Essential tremors but is benign. It was passed down to me from my mom no one else in our family has it. Mine tends to get worse when I'm nervous or anxious. I do shake at rest but barely visable as a child and teenager I was taught how to hold a glass or bowl a certain so I wouldn't drop it. Writing can sometimes be difficult as my writing can be a little...
  • Hi, I'm a 49 year old with ET. My Mom has it also, so mine is familial. I noticed symptoms at age 16 and it has  progressed through the years. I'm on Propranolol 40mg b.i.d and Klonopin .5 t.i.d. I've tried other drugs and vitamins that have not helped on a regular basis. After being fired from my job 4 years ago due to my tremor, It was finally decided that I am disabled. Today, I am frustrated...
  • sephethus

Vitamin D in High Doses

So I don't know why this hasn't been researched and I'm kind of upset that it took 30 years to discover this. I've had ET since I was 12 and it's progressive, so it's gotten worse after my late 30's and more so after I turned 41. One of the treatments not researched at all is high doses of vitamin D (5000-8000 IU/day). So far since I began it's been about 30% more effective than propanolol (my...
  • almost50

New here

Hi all! I just joined today. A few months ago, I started noticing a slight tremor in my left hand. Now I seem to have one in my right hand.  Just in the last couple of weeks, I've had an electrical pulse feeling in my chin. I also get eye twitches a lot. I went to my primary care doctor to get a referral to a neurologist, because I was worried about Parkinson's. He thinks it's essential...
  • Boofy

Essential Tremor

Hello to all ,I have just joined and have had Essential Tremor for about 4 years ,effects my head ,voice and jaw ,good days ,and bad days ,I also get an internal tremor ,which I don't see many people talk about and for myself ,whilst propanadol helps head tremor ,it does not do anything for the internal tremor ,it feels like having low blood sugar,does anyone else suffer this .I take Propanadol...
  • Smrodgers

New to group

Hello my name is Susan. I have ET. Can I just that today has been rough. My tremors are always there but some days are much worse than others. I am 50 years old and my tremors started when I about 35. I started a new job this week and I noticed some of my coworkers noticing my shaking. I never really felt embarrassed by my ET until today. I don't have problem telling anyone I just don't want them...
  • Shakey

New to group

Hello all. I am 54 years old and have had tremors since i was a little boy. It was first diagnosed as esential tremor when i left school and started work at the age of 18. I was first pescribed inderal but the side effects were not worth it so i relied on alcohol to suppress the tremors when needed. This does not always work as sometimes you cant realy do that and now am on mysoline and...
  • Gomo63

Tremor relief supplements

So my buddy who had horrible hand tremors for years used a product called Etremor and it helped a lot. He swears his hands don’t shake anymore unless he stops taking it. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this supplement and if it has worked for them. Here’s the link: www.etremorhealth.com If not, can anyone recommend a natural supplement that works? Thanks!
  • Julie47

Deep Brain Stimulation

My mother is 85 and has ET that affects her hands, head, voice, and possibly walking.  She wants to have the Deep Brain Stimulation surgery.  I am wondering what others have experienced with this.  I am concerned mostly because of her age, and if her expectations of results from the surgery are realistic.
  • angievandermey

Head bobbing

Do most people with et also have the head bobbing? Also do your shakes, say in your hand, seem to go into a almost a spasm? No pain or muscle tightening, but like a tick that goes ouf of control? Sorry, it's hard to expain.Tia
  • Minimight

Happy new year

hopefully this year will be filled with us all living life to the fullest, full of tear of joy and happiness. I wish everyone a blessed year with the strength we need to face our difficulties head on and overcome. 
  • flutterbye

Head tremor suddenly disappears!

I recently went on a 3 week trip to the Philippines and within two days there my head tremor disappeared!  It has not returned yet and I've been back in the US for a week.  I've had the tremor for a few years when performing any fine motor task like dishwashing and writing.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I'm really hoping it never comes back but I have my doubts.  I'm wondering what...
  • SHAKE23

question: ET related cognitive symptomes?

Hi!I am 27 years old and I had ET since I can remember.Beside the ET im also diagnosed with ADD and some minor speech difficulties( tip of the tongue phenomenon-failure to retrieve a word from memory).It is known that neurological disorders are usually accompanied by additional cognitive symptoms, but there is very little recored of it in the literature regarding ET.I would appreciate if you...
  • t0mmyG

Tips from 10 year since sufferer

Hi GuysI was diagnosed at 20 with an Rx of 10mg x4 per day. I haven't not taken this on a day for 10 years. I have mild tremor with mild anxiety. Here are my tips to help people out there :) -Get the right amount of sleep and limit stress, don't oversleep!Get outdoors as much as possible for fresh air ( Am going to take Vit D supplements off the back of another message board on here) Especially...
  • JadeS

Recently Diagnosed, So Many Questions

Hello everyone! I was recently diagnosed with ET, although I have had mild hand tremors for years. It does seem to have worsened in the last year, so I have decided to start medication. Unfortunately I'm in veterinary medicine and have to assist with surgeries and shaky hands are not ideal. My doctor recommended that I start on inderal la 60mg once a day (I'm about 110 pounds). I trust my doctor,...