Essential Tremor Support Group

Essential Tremor (ET) is a neurological disorder characterized by shaking of hands (and sometimes other parts of the body including the head), evoked by intentional movements. The incidence is unknown, but is estimated to be as common as one person in 20, and it is the most common type of tremor and also the most commonly observed movement disorder.

0 Online
  • Julie47

Deep Brain Stimulation

My mother is 85 and has ET that affects her hands, head, voice, and possibly walking.  She wants to have the Deep Brain Stimulation surgery.  I am wondering what others have experienced with this.  I am concerned mostly because of her age, and if her expectations of results from the surgery are realistic.
  • angievandermey

Head bobbing

Do most people with et also have the head bobbing? Also do your shakes, say in your hand, seem to go into a almost a spasm? No pain or muscle tightening, but like a tick that goes ouf of control? Sorry, it's hard to expain.Tia
  • Minimight

Happy new year

hopefully this year will be filled with us all living life to the fullest, full of tear of joy and happiness. I wish everyone a blessed year with the strength we need to face our difficulties head on and overcome. 
  • flutterbye

Head tremor suddenly disappears!

I recently went on a 3 week trip to the Philippines and within two days there my head tremor disappeared!  It has not returned yet and I've been back in the US for a week.  I've had the tremor for a few years when performing any fine motor task like dishwashing and writing.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I'm really hoping it never comes back but I have my doubts.  I'm wondering what...
  • SHAKE23

question: ET related cognitive symptomes?

Hi!I am 27 years old and I had ET since I can remember.Beside the ET im also diagnosed with ADD and some minor speech difficulties( tip of the tongue phenomenon-failure to retrieve a word from memory).It is known that neurological disorders are usually accompanied by additional cognitive symptoms, but there is very little recored of it in the literature regarding ET.I would appreciate if you...
  • t0mmyG

Tips from 10 year since sufferer

Hi GuysI was diagnosed at 20 with an Rx of 10mg x4 per day. I haven't not taken this on a day for 10 years. I have mild tremor with mild anxiety. Here are my tips to help people out there :) -Get the right amount of sleep and limit stress, don't oversleep!Get outdoors as much as possible for fresh air ( Am going to take Vit D supplements off the back of another message board on here) Especially...
  • JadeS

Recently Diagnosed, So Many Questions

Hello everyone! I was recently diagnosed with ET, although I have had mild hand tremors for years. It does seem to have worsened in the last year, so I have decided to start medication. Unfortunately I'm in veterinary medicine and have to assist with surgeries and shaky hands are not ideal. My doctor recommended that I start on inderal la 60mg once a day (I'm about 110 pounds). I trust my doctor,...
  • dkquan79

Tremors and weakness in hands

When I was diagnosed with ET I also had and still have weakness in my hands. Does anyone else have weakness too? I'm very frustrated because the neurologist keeps telling me that weakness isn't a symptom of ET. Does the anger ever go away??
  • Minimight

Hello

I just wanted to say that I wish everyone had a good thanksgiving. I don't know how often people come on here it seems quite a lot but still for whoever is here I hope you had a good day. Goodnight.
  • walkingwithet

Am I all alone?

ET has affected my walk and balance over the last few years...falls and near falls a plenty... I was prescribed a cane to help, have been walking with it for several months now.Am I the only one? I hardly ever hear of anyone else with ET walking with a cane or walker.Please chime in.Mike
  • MoMsGirl

New Here!

Hello everyone,  I have had shaky hands since Jr High. Never treated though. When I was 32 I casually mentioned it to my Dr. She seemed unconcerned but prescribed me a beta blocker but due to the side effects I chose to deal with the tremors. I am now 49 and they have gradually gotten worse over the years. Been dealing with a lot of emotional stress with family and last month I moved suddenly to...
  • alex121

Time of Day?

Hello all,I have a slight tremor in both hands and notice that it is very mild right before I go to bed. I have never heard of this happening before, although I have heard of peoples' tremors being worse in the morning, which sometimes happens me too. Why am I shaking less before bed? Is it to do with the relaxation that comes with getting ready for bed, or is there something happening with my...
  • Areey

ET and depression

it is the worse combination of all time. I feel like l cant do anything because of my tremor. Like i cant be loved or in a relationship and cant play music which hurts the most. I avoid getting out and meeting new people and im in a such young age. I also hate when people say you are afraid or anything! I wanted to get in touch with someone having my problem. 
  • kdhonors09

Occupational Therapy?

Hello!  I am 29 and was recently diagnosed with ET and have been working to try and come to terms with this new diagnosis while I research everything I possibly can about it.  Has anyone tried using Occupational Therapy to help learn ways to compensate with the disease in order to complete daily tasks?  My tremors are almost completely in my right hand and right leg which of course is my...
  • drstrange

New to forum

Just joined the forum because I really need a place to talk without feeing embarrassed about my ET. I would just like to share a little of my story. I have had ET since I was about 11 or 12 years old. High school was only ok because I had great friends who did not judge me and took up for me when anyone said anything. Deep down I would rather die than have to deal with one more person saying...