Essential Tremor Support Group

Essential Tremor (ET) is a neurological disorder characterized by shaking of hands (and sometimes other parts of the body including the head), evoked by intentional movements. The incidence is unknown, but is estimated to be as common as one person in 20, and it is the most common type of tremor and also the most commonly observed movement disorder.

0 Online
0 Online
  • Areey

ET and depression

it is the worse combination of all time. I feel like l cant do anything because of my tremor. Like i cant be loved or in a relationship and cant play music which hurts the most. I avoid getting out and meeting new people and im in a such young age. I also hate when people say you are afraid or anything! I wanted to get in touch with someone having my problem.
  • MoMsGirl

New Here!

Hello everyone, I have had shaky hands since Jr High. Never treated though. When I was 32 I casually mentioned it to my Dr. She seemed unconcerned but prescribed me a beta blocker but due to the side effects I chose to deal with the tremors. I am now 49 and they have gradually gotten worse over the years. Been dealing with a lot of emotional stress with family and last month I moved suddenly to...
  • angievandermey

Head bobbing

Do most people with et also have the head bobbing? Also do your shakes, say in your hand, seem to go into a almost a spasm? No pain or muscle tightening, but like a tick that goes ouf of control? Sorry, it's hard to expain.Tia
  • luvmygirlz

Before ET...

I know it's not healthy to dwell on the past but I really miss so much of what I used to be able to do before I got the ET in my 20's, I'm 42 now...I really wish I could do things that people who don't have ET probably take for granted...before ET: I could drink without a straw...I could apply my mascara & eyeliner perfectly...I could eat soup without it spilling off of the spoon...I could...
  • deleted_user

Primidone

Hi. I wanted to know anyone's experience with taking Primidone, if possible please include:1.) How long you have taken it?2.) Notice any undesirable side effects?3.) Is it really worth taking? Dr prescribed it to me to try it out, I took a small dose at night but then became a bit worried because this drug requires you to be weaned off.
  • I recently went on a 3 week trip to the Philippines and within two days there my head tremor disappeared! It has not returned yet and I've been back in the US for a week. I've had the tremor for a few years when performing any fine motor task like dishwashing and writing. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm really hoping it never comes back but I have my doubts. I'm wondering what could...
  • barbarasusan

wrist weights

I've heard wrist weights can help with hand tremors. Does anyone know how heavy they should be?
  • dkquan79

Tremors and weakness in hands

When I was diagnosed with ET I also had and still have weakness in my hands. Does anyone else have weakness too? I'm very frustrated because the neurologist keeps telling me that weakness isn't a symptom of ET. Does the anger ever go away??
  • walkingwithet

Am I all alone?

ET has affected my walk and balance over the last few years...falls and near falls a plenty... I was prescribed a cane to help, have been walking with it for several months now.Am I the only one? I hardly ever hear of anyone else with ET walking with a cane or walker.Please chime in.Mike
  • roger77

Gamma Knife

Hi all :)More that 2 months ago I underwent Gamma Knife treatment that was supposed to eliminate my tremors altogether. Unfortunatelly, for the time being the reduction of tremors hovers about 30 - 50 % which is not satisfactory. I still cannot drink a cup of coffee even at home, let alone in public. Has anyone undergone Gamma Knife treatment? How long after the treatment have noticed results?
  • crypticaltiger

i'm new here

Does any one else have a problem with their tremors getting worse when its hot outside? If so is there anything I can do aside from not going out when its hot to help?
  • oyvind

Assistive Devices

Hello All,Does anyone have experience with using assistive devices for coping with their tremors (hands). For instance when:- eating, drinking or preparing food- getting dressed- using computers/iPads/Cell phones- writingI've googled the topic and found a small selection of cutlery made to dampen tremor (heavier than ordinary cutlery) and some software for keyboard/mouse use. Thanks,yvind
  • Wag

ET and Balance

Hello, I have had ET for many years. It affects my right hand more than the left. I am sometimes unable to eat using my right hand. Now I am experiencing balance issues. I have had some major falls this past year. My Neurologist said that it is definitely due to the ET. Has anyone experienced this? Gosh, don't you find that it takes so much energy to try to function normally day to day?
  • camillelynn

HI

As of Thursday I was diagnoised with ET. My doctor really didnt talk to me about what to expect she just gave me Propranolol and told me to come back in two weeks. Being 19 this is kind of a scary thing and i dont really know how to handle it. My tremor takes place in my jaw and is kind of like a constant chattering of my teeth. It feels like my whole life is on hold. Im too embaressed to go to...
  • kass427

Frustration to the point of tears

I have had ET for about 12 years. I was prescribed propanolol and took it for a while, even though it didn't really help. I no longer have insurance so my resources are limited. I am currently going to college and recently had a math test that I couldn't finish because my hands were shaking so bad. It took me 40 minutes to get through 2 problems! I'm not sure what can be done at this point, but I...