Allergies Support Group

When the immune system responds to a foreign substance in an abnormal way, it is classified as an allergy. When the body first contacts the substance, it will not cause any reactions, but the immune system will start to produce antibodies to it and subsequent contact will trigger more dramatic responses. Depending on the allergy, the response could be mild or very severe and even fatal.

0 Online

Herb allergy?

Hi! 


I think I have an allergy to herbs used in cooking (oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc). I can smell them in foods, they smell rotten and mouldy. I have to leave the room if someone heats up a herbed dinner as it makes me really nauseous. I can taste them too for the most part. The food tastes mouldy and makes me gag. If I accidently eat some, it is unpleasant for hours with stomach cramps and nausea. 


Is it normal to be able to taste and smell them like I do? Has anyone else had something similar? 



Replies

Normie
Normie

I have not had that experience with herbs. But, I have numerous food allergies and some make me nauseated if I smell them.
cherriesandapples1010
cherriesandapples1010

I am allergic to some herbs... but I do not get nauseous from it.. i usually get hives... However, there are other foods that make me feel to throw up at the instant smell of it... for example fish... I get very nauseous from smelling it - raw, cooked or anyhow... I usually avoid eating in seafood places...
SusanAllen
SusanAllen

I am also allergic to certain herbs.
elliott57
elliott57

CAN YOU ELIMINATE SOME HERBS FROM YOUR DIET, IF YOUR NOT SURE WHAT IS IN SOME FOOD MAYBE DO NOT EAT IT, I HAVE TO DO THAT A LOT, I HAVE FOOD ALLERGIES. I'M ON A VERY LIMITED DIET, TO MANY CHEMICALS IN OUR FOOD, I'M ALLERGIC TO NITRATES ALSO SOME WHEAT AND ALL NUTS AND NUT OILS. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, ELLIOTT GOOD LUCK
DokDream
DokDream

Unclear if this is from one cook, or one batch of herbs, or all the time, everywhere. Maybe even if you pass by an Italian restaurant. Here is what you can do to start: Take a selection of whatever you sense has these herbs in them. You might also see if the dried herbs cause the same response in you. Put a little in a plastic bag with a small amount of water and "incubate" under conditions where you believe you are most sensitive --- refrigerator, room temperature, or near a warmth source. See if something grows within 3 or 4 days. If so, it could be mold. I say "could be" because mold spores are everywhere. Usually it takes somewhat longer for mold colonies to grow from spores than if there is already some active growth. Let me know. Send reply to abinc@aol.com.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • viewson

    Hiatus hernia and gerd

    3
    I recently had a gastroscopy done and found out that I have a hiatus hernia increasing my chances of getting esophagus cancer. There were no signs of barretts esophagus but I am still concerned about a progression towards BE. I worry about this and am thinking that I would like to have fundoplication surgery. They say that this is usually done as a last resort. Do I need a Doctors referral to...
  • Novembergirl1950

    Failed at friendship .... again

    4
    Have been working at a friendship for the past year.  Recently my patience has grown very thin and thinking she may have a "shelf-life". Yesterday I had a very important doctors appt with my sleep medicine doctor that I could not miss.  I am prone to migraine that makes me too ill to do anything for 3 days.  Anyway, keeping that in mind, my friend, let's say her name is Ann, while having...