Encephalitis Support Group

Encephalitis is an acute inflammation of the brain, commonly caused by a viral infection. Sometimes, encephalitis can result from a bacterial infection, such as bacterial meningitis, or it may be a complication of other infectious diseases like rabies (viral) or syphilis (bacterial). Encephalities sufferers experience fever, headache, vomiting, confusion, drowsiness and photophobia.

0 Online
0 Online
  • I'm 35 and had viral meningitis and encephalitis when I was 18 years old. I was in a coma for a couple of weeks, had to learn how to walk again and control motor skills. The doctors never found out what virus caused my illness, in fact my blood was sent to the CDC. The Encephalitis attacked my brain stem, and my hormones were out of control as well....I lactated, had my period for two months,...
  • I've been in for 2 weeks. On acyclovir, infection appeared to be clearing but I can't walk. I have no idea about rehab. It's terrifying me though. I'd never even heard of encephalitis before, I just started throwing up all the time and getting really bad headaches that nothing could touch. From what I read it would seem I've been pretty lucky in the grant scheme of things. May have been better if...
  • Hi Everyone! I know that encephalitis is a very rare disease and I had hse in December of 1995. Encephalitis Global, Inc. is the official website for survivors and caregivers and our online support group has over 1900 members worldwide. I would love to see you go there and join the Inspire support group. www.encephalitisglobal.org. We all support each other with information (and shoulders to...
  • I had viral meningitis and encephalitis just over 2 years ago, at 21, i soon after got diagnosed with neuralgia (in case this is the problem). My encephalitis started off with the severe joint pains, but I am writing to see if anyone else has the problem that after their illness they get pains that feels like its in their bones/joints? Mine isn't a constant pain, more of a dull ache that is very...
  • I am writing this for my mom. On Jan 11 she had a seizure and found out 2 days later it was encephalitis. She was in the hospital 22 days and has been home and doing quite well for almost dying. She has problems finding =her words at times and is very weak and shakey. Nothing tastes good to her. She is very down. Her family can't understand what she is going through. If someone is out there that...
  • At the age of 2 weeks old my daughter got HSV 2 Encephalitis, caused major brain damage and seizures, we almost lost her, she is now 6 months old and has so many medical problems because of it. I don't know how to handle all this, I fear for her future. She is only almost 11lbs at almost 6m old, she barely eats, she can't sit up, hold her head up, doesn't baby talk, has a hard time controlling...
  • deleted_user

Encephalitis Cures

My 13 year old son, diagnosed with viral encephalitis, had swelling on the brain stem that caused nausea and vomiting to the point that he became hospitalized. High doses of Prednizone were given to him to reduce the swelling to a point that he could at least be at home and sit in a chair. His condition only grew worse until I discovered that Dr. Klenner used high doses (8000 to 10000 mg) of...
  • I'm hoping for any insight anyone can give me. My grandma is currently coming out of a diabetic coma from encephalitis. She was found Wed morning unconscious at home. She was taken by ambulance to the local hospital where she had a seizure. She was life flighted in the helicopter to a trauma center where she has been ever since. She's been in a coma but she's slowly coming out of it. Her blood...
  • deleted_user

HSV 2 Encephalitis

At the age of 2 weeks old my daughter got HSV 2 Encephalitis, caused major brain damage and seizures, we almost lost her, she is now 6 months old and has so many medical problems because of it. I don't know how to handle all this, I fear for her future. She is only almost 11lbs at almost 6m old, she barely eats, she can't sit up, hold her head up, doesn't baby talk, has a hard time controlling...
  • deleted_user

grief support

I lost my 15 y/o daughter 5month ago. She was sent to the hospital with viral meningitis, two days later the CT scan reviled sinusitis, next day she was on life support and doctors said it is probably encephalitis. Next day my baby was gone. Life stoped
  • deleted_user

Hello

I wanted to introduce myself. I'm here to learn and find out info about encephalitis and its after effects.I had it last month and I couldn't eat, drink, or do anything. I lost 13lbs in a week and my whole life went into the trash can. Right now I'm trying to get back to where I need to be, but I still can't work because I keep getting headaches and nausea while working so I end up in the ER.My...
  • deleted_user

Lingering symptoms

I contracted encephalitis 3+ years ago. The first several months were extremely difficult, with body temperature changes in my hands/feet, extreme fatigue, headaches, loss of taste, slurred speech, etc. The most severe symptoms lasted only hours, such as inability to walk, talk, etc. But now, this much later, I still have a tingling sensation across my face. I leave out essential words when I...
  • Hi,My one year old has been diagnosed with encephalitis and is in the hospital. The doctors have conducted MRI, EEG and lumbar puncture to confirm that it is encephalitis. She is in a semi-coma state and is stable right now, however and worried about time to recover, potential lasting effects etc.Is there anyone who has known of an infant going through and coming out of Encephalitis? Would love...
  • deleted_user

Alcohol use

Hello-I have been cleared by my doctor that my infection is gone. One thing I am noticing is that I now HATE (as in it makes me retch) the taste of alcohol. Has anyone experienced this? I had a secondary bacterial infection for more than six months. Thanks. P.S. I used to love to drink (and probably did it a little too much) so this is a really new development for me.
  • I had Encephalitis at age 2 1/2 and I'm now a 54 year old female. I've always had bladder problems my whole life in the fact that I can't wait very long, have to go frequently and sometimes have accidents. Does anyone who has had this disease, or know about it, know of bladder problems in association with it? I'm thinking it may have to do with faulty (?) signals to and from the brain. Any...