Depression Support Group

Depression is a real and debilitating condition that is often misunderstood by family and friends. Its meaning can range from a prolonged period of sadness to an actual mental illness with specific symptoms. Find and share experiences with others who are going through the same struggles.

3 Online
3 Online

do you ever really get over depression?

hey all -

lately, i've been thinking alot about the times 12 years ago when i suffered through my darkest days with depression. i haven't thought about those times much, but i've started to think about if one ever really conquers depression, or if you ever feel it tugging at you even when you're in a good place....you?

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

You never get over it...at least 'I' personally don't think so...but you do get through it. It's a lot like greiving...You never get over the loss of your loved one, but there are days when you are down right happy...you have just managed to get through it...come out on the other side for a while...you might get pulled back...a memory...a trigger...but you can still survive and make it through...
deleted_user
deleted_user

I dont think maybe that it ever goes away completely.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I feel like I'm over it now!!! Of course on meds.. so we'll see next April. I can only HOPE to always "feel it lurking" so that I'm aware and don't let it take me over again. Now that my husband and children have seen the dark days, I hope that if I'm not aware of what's going on, they'll step in and get me back to the doctor so it never gets that bad again!
deleted_user
deleted_user

i think that depression is merely a part of us trying to get us to slow down and get real. the better we get at being true to our inner selves the thinner the fog of depression. best wishes.
deleted_user
deleted_user

they say that everyone gets it at some point in life - whereas i beleive i will be fighting it all my life - never to lose the war like before but to stay in the battle of life until my real time comes.
deleted_user
deleted_user

It all depends. Depression is different for everybody. For some people it goes away after six months for some other people they have it their whole life. It also depends on how you get it. For me I have Asperger's Syndrome and it has been found that depression is commonly found in those who have Asperger's Syndrome. So there is no actual way of telling weither it is going to disappear or not
deleted_user
deleted_user

I like to believe you can. My doctor says that with proper drug therapy, you can effectively "reboot" the levels of serotonin and norepinephrine in your brain.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't believe you ever get over depression. I have been fighting it for years and still can find myself looking at that black space and scared I am going to go back there. When that happens, I just try to think or do something else, something I enjoy doing like reading or listening to music loud and fast. It is a battle we will win, just have to work at it one day at a time!
deleted_user
deleted_user

mines for life. like scars. itll heal, but itll never go away.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I think once you have had clinical depression you are more susceptible.. however I think there are alot of people out there on the brink ( as I was once) who do not know what to do or how to cope..
I do believe I will be off meds but at least I can see the signs if I get worse. True I think small things can trigger bouts and knowing that can give you strength
deleted_user
deleted_user

i think it can be manageable. it can crop its head back up at certain times in your life... i take each day and try and do the best i can. each moment of pleasure and happiness i have is never taken for granted. i remember the worst times of my life and am thankful for all the good times more than ever. this place here helps so much... so many loving people ... thanks so much....
deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't know that we ever really "get over it".

As with any illness I think that with time, knowledge, assistance (meds/therapy, etc.), and by accepting responsibility for our own wellness that we learn to live with it/manage it.
deleted_user
deleted_user

I dont think you ever get over it, That's why sometimes I just want to be alone because I dont want anyone to have to deal with me.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My personal opinion,
I think it depends on what caused the depression, or type of depression. If it is a conditional depression based on circumstance (ie financial), but your able to pull yourself out of that circumstance then I feel that you can get over it and let it go. If it's something that's more traumatic (death, divorce) then it is gonna be more like the grieving process and may lurk around. Some depression is a matter of dealing with your circumstances(triggers) whereas other maybe coping with sadness, selfesteem, loss, addiction, purpose and it may require a more constant battle with a lot more triggers.
deleted_user
deleted_user

My depression came after I gave birth to my daughter. I guess you can call it post par tum depression. Then it became worse because my husband was not supportive and I had a stressful full time job and my coworkers were so mean to me. I thought that it would go away if I quit that job, but it didn't. I get episodes every month for 2 weeks. I am struggling to control it and I believe it is possible to manage it with positive thinking. It is not easy but it is possible. If one is not mentally strong enough, just anything can trigger it and it can get one back into that dark hole. So I guess it will never go away, but with constant struggle it is manageable.