Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Support Group

Deep-vein thrombosis, also known as deep-venous thrombosis or DVT, is the formation of a blood clot ("thrombus") in a deep vein. It can be caused by something preventing blood from circulating or clotting normally. Join the support group if you are coping with DVT and find others who are going through the same challenges.

0 Online

PE following DVT - my experience and few questions

Hello Everyone! Firstly, I sympathize with anyone who is going through this scary experience.

I had a skiing accident a month a ago, ripping ligaments in my left knee and elbow. Bad enough, huh! Then when being immobile I have started to have an awful sharp pain in my side on breathing in. I was sure it was some kind of neuralgia, but when I started to feel like fainting (never happens to me) my husband called an ambulance. The paramedics assessed me and after listening to my lungs said I might be having a pneumonia, nothing life threatening. It was the middle of the night, but I decided to go to hospital anyway, rather than waiting till the morning to visit my GP.

As it turned out (I had CT straight after addmission) PE in both lungs. In addition I did indeed have a pneumonia, so they put me on both Clexane and antibiotics. Then I had an ultrasound of my leg (2 clots, one 6cm long), heart echo (all OK) and chest X-ray.

I stayed in hospital for 11 days, came back home 2 weeks a week ago. Before leaving hospital I had an ultrasound of my leg and apparently the clots are smaller, and chest X-ray (some lung collapse). My doc in hospital was not very communicative so I don’t know very much about the extent of my PE. I know only that my D-dimer test at the beginning of stay at hospital was nearly 6 thousand. The bad pain passed after 3 days of hospital stay, and then I only had a residual pain around my chest.

Now I can breath fairly deeply (doing breathing exercises), can walk as much as my leg in brace allows and do not pant too much, even going up hill and started working a bit from home. Overall I feel OK, today I have a bit of pain in my chest, but very tiny. I finished all the antibiotics yesterday, but still injecting myself with 120mg Clexane daily, until I see my doctor in 2.5 weeks time. I worry only a bit, though I suffered for years from a panic disorder and I’m on antidepressants permanently, so maybe it helps.

But as silly as it sounds I sometimes think I feel too good for this stage and I start feeling uneasy. Maybe I am missing something… So I feel a bit anxious.

I don’t know whether I should wear the compression stockings. I have some from hospital which I was given by a nurse that was surprised that the doctor didn’t advise any.

I don’t know what to expect when my period comes (apologies to the male participants). I know it maybe be heavier, but when I should be alarmed.

What tests should be done and when to see whether my clots dissipated? I’d rather visit my doctor equipped with this knowledge rather than being dismissed.

I overlooked my file and noticed that I had a genetic tests done in hospital (the doctor didn’t mention anything!). I don’t have the Factor V Leiden, which is good news I suppose. I don’t remember what’s the other test was, but I’d like to ask my GP for other tests to see whether I’m susceptible to blood clots. I know my DVT was provoked by my injury, but I have varicose veins (had two operations on other leg) which elevates the risk as well. And I’m not getting any younger, I’m 51. I wish I could back to skiing, maybe, but I would probably need to get an operation for my knee, but I’m scared I can get another PE.

So that’s my story. I hope I didn’t bore you all too much :-).

Replies

tinyboson
tinyboson

Ha, ha, I was meant to post in in PE group, but I have DVT, so it fits a bit as well :-).
moolar
moolar

It doesn't matter where you post, I think the sites are connected somehow anyway :) Being a girl I'll address the lovely monthly gift. I was regular, & lasted the usual week, but was much heavier for the 1st 2-3 days, I mean like Niagara Falls heavy, then it tapered off to normal. Just delightful...!! I was on blood thinners for 10 months, then came off. They did an ultrasound on my clot leg, but nothing on my lungs as was assumed if none in the leg, then gone. I also did the blood work for clotting disorders, which was negative. They never actually determined why I clotted. That was the extent of my testing, & my doctor said the clots were probably gone in the 1st few weeks, but I needed to be on thinners to let my body heal & not allow new clots to form. I've not been on thinners for ages now since my clot was almost 5yrs ago, & while I've not had any surgery, if I did, I need to disclose that I've clotted before, so they can take the necessary precautions. I'd talk to your doctor about the risk of surgery now or in the future, & see what they say.
tinyboson
tinyboson

Thanks a lot for your response!
Bless
Bless

Bless 09/09/2017
Hello everyone I'm 33 years old anyway on August12 of this year I had this pain in my leg that felt like a charley horse smh my husband try to rub it out it stop for awhile but then it started backup again anyway so August the 16 I decided to go to the emergency room cause I start limping I gets there explain what's wrong they did the d-diimer test it was high 1600 so they said we think you got blood clots in your leg so they begin to give me shots in my stomach got admitted in the ultrasound my leg didn't see nothing did a CT scan found it DVT so they said it might have travel we have to scan your lungs Vascular found a small one in the lower lube mind you know short of breath no chest pain normal breathing vitials great Thank God he is Able back to the story I went on a Wednesday I was suppose to get released on Thursday I had problems with my insurance so stay another night Friday came still insurance problems until 8pm Friday night my insurance paid for my medicine I said to myself the devil is a liar and I rebuke you Satan cause I'm going home today smh im trying to be normal I broke down and cried praying to my lord just lead the way and touch the blood Amen they still trying to find out whats the cause but I believe it came from sitting down at work for 4 hours straight 5days a week and I meant to mention it to the doctor but I was so in shock I forgot but I have a appointment with the hematology October 2
Sjo
Sjo

I "only" had a DVT, no PE, but I can still answer the period question.. Getting your period while on blood thinners is no fun. I always had heavy periods but on blood thinners it's like moolar said above: Niagara Falls heavy.
tinyboson
tinyboson

Ha, ha, now I wish I've already had my menopause. I hope that I will survive somehow, I have already equipped myself with ladies incontinence nappies :-). However I'm dreading going back to work, if only to attend a few meetings that I need to.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • lbug

INR levels on Warfarin

currently still in hospital, switching from Rivaroxaban due to complications. Started warfarin 3 days ago and on an IV of heparin until the oral pill warfarin is in my system enough to come off. I’m told once my INR gets to 2.4 I can come off the IV and go home. I was initially told it takes about 3 days. It’s been 3 days of oral warfarin and my INR this more was 1.4. This is crazy I just...
  • Douglas831

Hi group

Had my major PE a few years agoBefore that I had done over 25 marathons and many triathlonsEven completed 4 full IronmansThen I got a dvt in left leg a few years later a PE withb about 30 clots in my lungsSince then put on 60 poundsAnd been worrying about it happening again I don't consider myself a wimpBut feel bad about worryingFeel like I lost lung capacityAny one feel the same