Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Support Group

Deep-vein thrombosis, also known as deep-venous thrombosis or DVT, is the formation of a blood clot ("thrombus") in a deep vein. It can be caused by something preventing blood from circulating or clotting normally. Join the support group if you are coping with DVT and find others who are going through the same challenges.

1 Online
1 Online

Chewing Tobacco and IRN

Does anyone know if the use of chewing tobacco can affect your IRN levels?
Dave

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

I don't know, but maybe you could ask your pharmacist. Someone suggested to me early on that I run all non-prescription and prescription drugs by the pharmacist. Maybe he/she will know about tobacco.
deleted_user
deleted_user

Hi Nwhunter,

I don't know about chewing tabacco either, but the issue with smoking is it reduces oxygen at the capillary level, as well as dehydrates you both due to the smoke itself. However, if just chewing, which introduces just nicotine into the blood, in my opinion, I don't think it does affect your INR level.

Ace
deleted_user
deleted_user

This was cross posted on the PE board too. This URL had information about 1/2 way down on smokeless tobacco use on warfarin.

http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/t/geriatrics,cardiovascular/c/12374/dnnprintmode/true/skinsrc/

I think nicotine in all its forms (smoked, chewed, patch, gum, etc.) interacts with warfarin and drives your INR down. (Ignoring all the other associated health impacts :) -p