Chronic Pain Support Group

Physicians and professionalsdefine pain as chronic if it lasts longer than three to six months and is persistent. It's distinct from acute pain that is a direct result of injury or trauma. This support group is dedicated to those suffering from chronic pain. Discuss treatments that have worked for you, find advice for your specific experience, and find support. You're not alone in your pain.

4 Online

Thoracic Outlet Syndrom

I'm finally getting checked for TOS. After I had rotator cuff surgery that didn't relieve my pain I had researched this and asked my orthopedic surgeon. His answer (I'll never forget) was your MRI shows a herniation so don't look for another cause. Well I had spine surgery and that didn't help either!!

It took 2 1/2 years of asking one doctor after another to finally have one say hmmm. A 2 minute test in his office made him say HMMMM.

I don't know if I will be happy or sad to get this confirmed. Happy to finally have some answers but sad if this will lead to more surgery or more likely just more treatment.

Well in two weeks I should know what the answer is. Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't find a lot about it.

Replies

deleted_user
deleted_user

a doctor while was in hosptial told me he thouth i had tos but its never been investcated hugs minnie i do know affects my breating some times i cannot get my breath i get short on air. hugs minnie
deleted_user
deleted_user

I'm glad you said that. I get short of breath when I carry the laundry upstairs. I have always thought it was because I was a little overweight and out of shape. Now I wonder.....
deleted_user
deleted_user

I know absolutely nothing about TOS but, I am quite interested. Can you tell us what tests you are going to be having? And what they will be looking for? I am glad that you have found a supportive doctor. If course, I am sorry to hear that this may mean surgery for you. But if that will mean ultimately less pain then that will be a good thing. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, Hugs, Cathy
deleted_user
deleted_user

Wow......some pretty interesting information here.....................

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/DS00800
deleted_user
deleted_user

Here is another good source of information...............

http://www.medicinenet.com/thoracic_outlet_syndrome/article.htm

Tigg....I had never heard of this before......and it makes me wonder if some of my breathing problems might be somehow related to my shoulder/neck pain problems????????

Or......it could just be the cigarettes.................LOL.....Nah.......must be sumptin else:)

Please keep us posted on this.
cherrychanga
cherrychanga

It's all so confusing. I checked it out and it could be me. I'm hesitant to do my own research and bring it up at a doc appt. When I've done that in the past, it's dismissed, immediately.

I'm glad you found a doctor who's willing to look a little further for answers.

Hugs,
Cherry
deleted_user
deleted_user

Thank you Debbear for providing that link information on TOS it was really helpful. Now I have a clearer picture of what you are dealing with Tigg2. Good luck to you and keep us posted on what treatment options you are going to be offered. We are here for you. Hugs, Cathy
deleted_user
deleted_user

You are smart to follow your gut as we are the ones who are in pain and have the time to think about it. In a way I hope it is especially if it can be treated and it can lead to some relief.
Now I do not know to much about it and I wish I could tell you more, but I am sure someone here will have some answers.

This is good news, a bit late but good new at last. I wonder why the doctor did not want to check for this? Is it not reliable or expensive it seems that someone should of checked for this. I guess it is useless for me to try and think like a doctor:)
Carobuc
Carobuc

Wow I have some similar experience to you. I had 2 surgeries on my left shoulder. After a year the shoulder went numb which I didn't realise first I just thought the pain was gone but then I developed bad neck pain and then nerve pain the next day as everything is waking up. I've had an mri that showed minor osteoarthritis in cervical area but doctors say this isn't an issue. My posture is very bad from computer and ipad. Yet when I lie down at night my arm and shoulder goes numb. Next day while everything is waking up the nerve pain is very bad for aboutique 4 hours in the morning. I'm really good in afternoon and evening. Yet every time they do a test it's in the evening. My physio thought it was thoracic outlet syndrome. But I would be interested in finding out what tests were done on you and if the were positive.
Posts You May Be Interested In:
  • nana012

I have cancer

I had to have a lung biopsy, and I have cancer. A very rare form that doesn't have any standard treatment. There just isn't a lot of case history for this. It is epithelioid hemangio endothelioma. The cancer support group doesn't talk every day. I can understand why. I'm waiting for the oncologist to call back for an appointment, and will hear in the next few days. Who knew. Ha!
  • Urlacher

Support from family

It's so hard dealing with pain especially when you don't get any support from the person who your supposed to be closest to. So hard when your trying to deal with pain and that person treats you worse than the pain. Having hard time understanding why. unless you are having a good Day you are treated like crap and they make you feel worthless.