Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Support Group
Atrial fibrillation (AF or afib) is an abnormal heart rhythm (cardiac arrhythmia) which involves the two small, upper heart chambers (the atria). Heart beats in a normal heart begin after electricity generated in the atria by the sinoatrial node spread through the heart and cause contraction of the heart muscle and pumping of blood.
Thanks for sharing your story. I was on metoprolol also. When I was first put on it, the dose was too high. I felt like i had the flu , so exhausted, so I can relate to your feelings.
Glad the meds are keeping it under control. Wishing you NSR!
I'm on 50mg of metoprolol and 180 of matzin and they work well for me. I don't have too many episodes and the meds keep my HR low during episodes. I tend to pant and be short of breath during my episodes but not otherwise.
Thanks for sharing. I was diagnosed with paroxysmal, asymptomatic afib in Aug 2012 (during a routine dr visit like yourself) and prescribed 240 mg diltiazem. I have found it a very effective drug in allowing me to continue my running although I have cut back on how strenuous my runs are. Pre afib I usually stayed between 140 to 160 bpm. Post afib I try to keep it under 120 bpm although I have occasionally had brief spikes that go up to 180+ .
My resting hr pre afib was 51 and with diltiazem is usually in the 50's although sometimes I am in the 40's and 60's.
opsyn