Arthritis - Juvenile Support Group

Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), formerly known as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA), is the most common form of persistent arthritis in children. JIA is sometimes referred to as juvenile chronic arthritis (JCA), a term that is not precise as JIA does not encompass all forms of chronic childhood arthritis. Arthritis is the inflammation of the synovium (the lining tissues) of a joint.

0 Online
0 Online
  • slass

2yr old son diagnosed with JIA

My son was diagnosed with JIA in July after twisting his leg on a slide in June. After the injury - we went to an ortho and then a rheumatologist. He had been limping (and still is a little) for over 6 weeks, and after blood work, X-rays, and MRI's, the JIA diagnosis came about. Since then, he received a steroid injection to the knee on August 11 which did nothing for him. We also have done 2...
  • deleted_user

My DAUGHTER just diagnosed with JIA

HelloMy five year old daughter was just diagnosed with JIA. They say her knees, both ankles and possibly her hip are involved. She is stiff in the AM and has a hard time with stairs right now. After an hour or two and some Motrin she is her normal self, but definitely still has problems going up and down stairs. We had an initial appointment with a Rheumotologist who is leaning towards JIA but...
  • johnstephens

Alternative therapy + strategy

HiI'm writing on behalf of my 9 y.o. daughter with JIA and Iritis. Her Iritis is flaring and we are now considering adding Humira to her Methotrexate. I'm confident we'll add Humira, but I also want to explore two options in the longer term to help her. One is naturopathic treatment, and the second is moving out of this wet, cold place we call home (Oregon). I would be grateful if others have any...
  • gigigirl

do teens with JA often feel sick too?

My 14 year old daughter was diagnosed with JA this past summer. She has been on Humira for the past two months. That seems to be really helping her joints and her jaw which is where her JA started. But she is still missing 4-6 days of school a month because she is either so tired she can't get out of bed or she is so nauseous she feels awful and won't eat and ends up vomiting in the middle of...
  • deleted_user

Please help!

In a lot of pain. Joints very stiff and achy. Muscles aching. Headache, stomach pain. Very tired but can't sleep. I just took half of a Percocet-10 because I just can't push through the pain rite now. I'm hoping that will kick in soon. This happens just about every morning to me. Does it happen to anyone else? Does anyone know of anything else I can do?
  • deleted_user

Advice anyone?

My name is Sarah, I have had JRA for the past 9 years, I'm currently 18. The past year has been extremely frustrating for me, and I was wondering if I could get some advice from anybody who has experienced this as well. Because of my Arthritis, I have no immune system. And because of that, for the past 10 months I've been dealing with a yeast overgrowth (vaginal). I've tried nearly every...
  • deleted_user

People staring

Do you ever get irritated with the judgmental stares that you get if you're in pain?
  • deleted_user

Finally Angry

I was diagnosed with Systemic Rheumatoid Arthritis over 16 years ago. I am in my early 30's and for years I just told myself I would not let my diagnosis rule my life. Unfortunately I have reached the point where I forgot what it is like to experience a day without pain. In 16 years I have never experienced even a week of remission. I have tried everything from Advil to biologics. Nothing has...
  • deleted_user

methotrexate..some help pls

is/has anyone else been on this? i missed a dose last week bc my script ran out and there giving me the run around abt it. my body feels like it has been hit by a bus since i didnt have my dose. i was jw if anyone else has been put on it and if its working for them .
  • deleted_user

Horrible Back Pain.

So I just got diagnosed with arthritis in my lower back. I've had this horrible lower back pain since I can remember the doctor at the ER every time told me it wasn't anything and I was fine. It finally got so bad I couldn't move at all I thought I was paralyzed so I went to the Doctor snapping and saying I will not leave until I find out the answer. I couldn't walk I had to have my friend wheel...
  • Hello, Im a father of a beautiful 2 year old daughter that just recently was seen by a pedicatric ortho for JIA. She has been limping for the last few weesk and her knee and ankle on her left left has swollen up. No fever or anything. She limps pretty heavily in the mornings and after a nap. Usually by mid day she is jumping around like a monkey. We are set up to see a pediatric...
  • deleted_user

Plenquenil

Hi, I'm new here and hoping for some advice. My daughter was diagnosed first with arthritis in her jaw with advanced degeneration. Her growth there has been stunted by this condition. In late July they did an arthrocentesis procedure to address the situation and she has also been on Naproxen. I know she will likely need surgical correction of her jaw when she is done growing. I was told we...
  • deleted_user

Joint injections

My son Charles is having injections in his foot, ankle and toes on thursday. What can I expect and what should I look out for? He is 8 years old, hyper flexible and has a high pain tolerence according to the doctors. They are wanting to get his foot and ankle under control before they start looking at his left knee and left hand as well as his lower back. This is all new and scarey for me.
  • deleted_user

New to this forum

Hi,I didn't see "New to this Forum, introduce yourself" etc. so I am writing this:My youngest daughter is 5, and was recently diagnosed with JIA, the oligoarthritis group. We have a lot of doctor appointments ahead of us (Rheumatology, Ophthalmology and OT).... I am still trying to wrap this around my head. Her right wrist is very stiff, and possibly also in her left wrist and right elbow.If you...
  • I posted this already tonight but it didn't show up so I'm sorry if it shows up twice!Okay I've typed this a lot in a lot of groups and have yet to find anyone that can relate to me and I'm praying I don't run into another wall here. So here goes...Okay about a year ago I started having sudden severe sharp pain that started in my neck. It felt like I was pulling something or straining something....