Alopecia Areata Support Group
Alopecia areata ("baldness in spots") is a form of hair loss from areas of the body, usually from the scalp. Because it causes bald spots on the head especially in the first stages, it is also called spot baldness. Hair loss can extend to eyebrows, eyelashes and facial and nasal hair and create more bald spots elsewhere in the body.
Reba73
When I was 12 I had bald spots on my head about the size of quarters. I wore a hairpiece in 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grade or alternated sometimes by wearing a bandana (this was back in the 70's). I am now in my early 50's and my hair grew completely back in 10th grade.
My question to this group - does anyone know what causes alopecia areata? Stress? Mine started around the time I started my period so I wonder if it was hormonal. I know I will probably never know but just curious as to what members of this group have heard causes it? Thanks.
My question to this group - does anyone know what causes alopecia areata? Stress? Mine started around the time I started my period so I wonder if it was hormonal. I know I will probably never know but just curious as to what members of this group have heard causes it? Thanks.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
Is anyone here allergic to Sulfa that is currently taking Diamox? I have been diagnosed with IH now for almost 2 years. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs meaning that my throat will swell up so my Neurologist put me on Topamax. I was suffering from major loud whoosing noises and the topamax helped that but everyday I still hear those mainly between 6 - 12 pm. I am at my wits end and have not went...
-
My 6mo twin DD's are EBF and just started rice cereal on the first. Everything has been going fine except this morning one of them had a diaper rash (lots of redness around her anus). I read this as one of the signs of an allergy. BUT I did just buy a different brand diaper yesterday (which they have used randomly before w/no issues). Do you think its the cereal or the diaper? Im ready to start...
Not everyone with stress loses their hair. Not everyone with hormone imbalances loses their hair. Some people have a predisposition for autoimmune disorders, and those are the people who end up with conditions like lupus, alopecia, or fibromyalgia.
I have a rare form of alopecia, and heard everything from "it's just stress" to "it's hormones" (even though my androgens have always been spot on). I have had numerous people think I was pulling it out myself or somehow damaging it while styling. I worked at a halr replacement salon, and I met all kinds of clients. If you go to alopecia boards, you will find women with alopecia areata (yes....alopecia areata, not androgenic alopecia) who have had regrowth of their hair after taking birth control pills. I personal met a woman who developed AA after she began taking birth control pills (it eventually grew back).
There's no real conclusive way to know *why* you would develop an autoimmune disorder. There are so many potential triggers.
I guess I will quit this sight too -- what a shame .