Alcoholism Support Group
Alcoholism is the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages, even when it is negatively affecting your health, work, relationships and life. If you think alcohol is causing you to lose control, it's time to seek help. Our group is a safe place to vent, check in, get back up if you fall, and reach sobriety.
angel55901
It's been well over a week since I got into trouble at work. I had a few drinks before my shift and let's just say...I was pretty buzzed. Of course, management suspected and had to take a breathalyzer and urine test in the office. That seemed like a very long night!!
I was then taken home by taxi that night, cause I was over the legal limit to drive. Thank gosh, I didn't get a 3rd DUI! I had my first one almost 11 years ago, and my 2nd one 8 years ago. You would think after going through all of that I would have learned my lesson. I didn't.
So I've been out of work for almost 2 weeks and am so ready to get back to work very soon. In order for me to stay at my job, I need to be compliant and do whatever they tell me to do within the next 2 years.
Since my workplace incident, I have had some drinks here and there. Today would mark my first full day without drinking. Go me! Fighting the cravings is what is difficult right now.
I've been trying to stay busy by going to the gym, eating better, sleeping when I need to. Play games and whatever else to keep my mind occupied.
I will be going to my first AA meeting tomorrow. So I'm really not sure what to expect or what to do.
I was then taken home by taxi that night, cause I was over the legal limit to drive. Thank gosh, I didn't get a 3rd DUI! I had my first one almost 11 years ago, and my 2nd one 8 years ago. You would think after going through all of that I would have learned my lesson. I didn't.
So I've been out of work for almost 2 weeks and am so ready to get back to work very soon. In order for me to stay at my job, I need to be compliant and do whatever they tell me to do within the next 2 years.
Since my workplace incident, I have had some drinks here and there. Today would mark my first full day without drinking. Go me! Fighting the cravings is what is difficult right now.
I've been trying to stay busy by going to the gym, eating better, sleeping when I need to. Play games and whatever else to keep my mind occupied.
I will be going to my first AA meeting tomorrow. So I'm really not sure what to expect or what to do.
Posts You May Be Interested In
-
-
added cut up hot dogs also some shredded parmeseano reggiano cheese that I used a box shredder to cut it up.


If I may be bold enough I am not sure if your intention to cut back, quit or something else?? I am sober through the program of AA and abstinence is part of the program.
Wishing you well and if you want to ask questions please do so.
G8
That was nearly 8 years ago! Going through those doors was the best decision I ever made in my life! I am happier now then I have ever been!
AA saved my life!
God Bless!
You are very welcome and I wish you all the best for the future.
If you are an alcoholic there is no middle ground and you cannot drink safely. The choice is between progressively worse drinking episodes that often end in disaster on the one hand and sobriety on the other hand. The reasons why an alcoholic cannot drink are now well understood and if you are going to AA meetings you can learn more about it by reading the Doctors Opinion in the Big Book (Alcoholics Anonymous) and following up with more recent research.
Having attended AA meetings for more than seven years I have seen many people come and go and I have tried to analyse why some get sober while others continue to struggle. I think that success has to be built on a solid foundation and it starts with acceptance. Many come to AA meetings and admit that they have a problem but some fail to fully accept the reality that they cannot drink safely.
Following acceptance, the second vital element for success is the willingness to have an open mind. AA is not an organised structure as such but rather it is a fellowship or collection of individuals. In any group of this sort there will be different outlooks and different agendas and common sense is a useful ingredient. What brings people together in AA is that they have a common problem but what keeps them together is that they have found a common solution.
Getting sober requires total commitment for an alcoholic and there cannot be any half measures. Therefore, it is important to want sobriety for yourself rather than doing it in order to please other people. Initially I did not want to go to AA meetings but within a very short time I came to see the value of what was on offer. I then decided to fully commit to AA and I have not taken a drink since. At the start, I went to different meetings as I was keen to learn. I was advised to arrive early and leave late as this allows for very important conversations with other members before and after the meetings. I got involved in doing small things to help out such as putting away the chairs after a meeting. Eventually I did other service jobs but that came later.
Therefore, my suggestion to you is to approach AA with a positive outlook. Look out for similarities rather than differences and be prepared to give it time. The solution to the alcohol problem is to be found in the Twelve Step programme of recovery but that is a few months down the road, assuming that you want it. For now, enjoy the sense of freedom that comes from having that heavy weight of alcoholism lifted from the shoulders.
I hope you keep the job and that there is not a witch hunt attitude when you return to work to find out if you are sober....it could be tragic to lose your employment over this disease...but it has happened....I just saw that Taco Bell released a top manager who drunkenly off duty assaulted an Uber driver before being maced.....
As for the first AA meeting and what to expect? I went to my first at the strong suggestion of my sister and BIL whose house I was crashing in after the BIL flushed a quarter pound of Gold Bud Columbian pot down the toilet that I was supposed to sell....it was either go to AA and you can stay here tonight or go to the Salvation Army to sleep and have a nice life....I of course called the Salvation Army to find out how to get a bed there as I did not want to attend AA...LOL
I also called the AA central service office here in my big city living world and they referred me to a newcomers meeting....I was in complete foggyness and remember hardly anything of that meeting...except they were going out to eat afterwards I was invited and I was afraid if I went that I would drink...so I bolted from there and did not come back for nine bad drinking years later....hopefully you do not follow my pathway...but I got sober over 20yrs ago after I asked an AA person at work for help....that was more than 15yr after my first AA meeting....
I know I have to make my sobriety my #1 priority right now. Everything seems to depend on it. To get better and back on track with living and not just existing.
I'll update later on how the first AA newcomers meeting went.