two years ago today

Summertime and working on the parent presentation about drug awareness, has brought me back two years ago - reflection time.   T continues to amaze me and I tell you - based on what he was like two years ago, and over the course of this last year, I could not imagine him being able to overcome the substances he was addicted to - but he did!  My friend, Donna, who has a son who went through what T did, went into treatment and never even relapsed after coming out.  He's two years older than T and has been sober for 4 years. Her son was always getting into trouble - well before the drugs appeared on the scene for him, so I thought it was even that much more remarkable that he was able to remain sober, especially with his history of impulsive behavior. Donna was always my cheerleader and helped to keep me going - calling me - encouraging me - and trying to give me hope.  Even though I didn't believe T would stop, I needed to hear her words.  Today my friend is in the beginning of treatment for cancer.  Now it's my turn to be her cheerleader.     Two years ago today we went to the community diversion court program with T - his first "court" appearance.  The diversion program is actually designed for first time offenders for kids.  It's a wake-up call, so to speak.  They go before the juvenile detective and a volunteer magistrate and a "hearing" done - and then community service hours are imposed. T's first offense was park curfew and for drug paraphernalia.  T had broken his nose earlier in the summer playing soccer and had had Vicadin in his backpack he left at the park when the police showed up.  Of course, the medication had his name on it and, therefore, the police knew who the backpack belonged to.  Inside was also a marijuana pipe.  T had been home for awhile, we were just going to bed when we heard someone banging loudly on our front door.  That "someone", of course, was a policeman.  We confronted T on it and he denied it was his pipe - but a friend's.  Of course, we didn't believe it.  After that arrest, and leading up to diversion court, his behavior became progressively worse.  By the time we went to div. court, he was awful.  He had it in his head that if he didn't plead guilty he would be bumped up to the county court where he heard that all they get there is a slap on the hand. I was beside myself trying to tell him that that was a bad idea.  He had quite an attitude in front of the div. court - knowing that they really didn't have any real power to do anything. Well, we all finally convinced him that it wasn't in his best interest not to plead guilty but -- two days later- it didn't matter - on the way back from soccer practice it started raining - so he and his friends sought shelter under a park shelter/bathroom.  Well, I think they also had other plans (to get high) and also found some mischief to get into while they were there.  One boy had a camera and video-ed T lighting hand sanitizer.  After the sanitizer was lit, it would go out.  Well, a policeman showed up, caught one boy (with the camera) and so T was charged with arson - a felony - which bumped him up to the big court. After that incident - it was one after another.  I think I was on the phone with the juvenile detective every day.  It was horrible.   I go back every now and then to remind myself of a few things - One: it makes me realize how far we have come and that recovery takes time, Two: it helps me to encourage others that -yes- there IS hope.