JPW revamp for historic Sydney Cove site

A development application for a $32 million makeover of Sydneys historic waterfront Campbells Stores buildings at The Rocks by architecture firm Johnson Pilton Walkerlodged with the NSW Government is now on public exhibition. Aconsortium called Tallawoladah Pty Ltd that is leasing the site is also developingit.Campbells Stores are heritage-listed sandstone warehouses that were originally built in 1839 were used during Sydney Coves peak as a shipping and transport hub in the late nineteenth century. The warehouses have accommodated high-end restaurants since the 1970s, but have shown signs of decay over recentyears.The development application proposes to undertake remediation, renewal and adaptive re-use works on the historicsite.A key part of the projectwill involve the removal of a number of additions made to the site during the 1980s, including external shade canopies and sail ship masts and a glazed pavilion at the northern end of the buildings.Significant conservation work will also be undertaken to counter the deterioration of some of the original building materials, and the roof will bereplaced.New additions to the buildings aim to improve public access in part by forming stronger connections with the rest of The Rocks precinct. A new canopy will be incorporated along the waterfront forecourt to facilitate outdoor space and a stand-alone contemporary structure, referred to as Bay 12, will bebuilt at the northern end of the site. The Hickson Road side of the buildings will also be altered to accommodate outdoor dining and more pedestrianactivity.The project is classified as a State Significant Development, which means planning minister Rob Stokes has authority over itsapproval.The plans are on public exhibition at the moment, and submissions can be made until 18 December2015. href='http://architectureau.com/articles/JPW-revamp-for-historic-sydney-cove-site/' - http://architectureau.com/articles/JPW-revamp-for-historic-sydney-cove-site/ -