Is Your Business Truly Prepared For The Future? Going Beyond "content Marketing"

The Sales Lion by Marcus Sheridan
Inbound and Content Marketing, Social Media, and Branding Success for Businesses
You are here:
Motivational/Inspirational
As many of you know, one of my major passions in life is the pursuit of world-class communicationwhether it be for myself or others.
And to say this passion runs very, very deep would be an understatement.
When I was a teenager, I had a tremendous fear of public speaking.
Luckily for me though, as a missionary living in a foreign country at 20 years of age, I was quickly thrown into a fire that forced me to overcome this issue.
In fact, during my time traveling the southern tip of South America I ended up going from a meek and timid public speaker to one that was presenting every single day to groups of 2, 20, or 200 peopleall done in a language I had no previous knowledge of.
It was during this time periodone when I struggled mightily at times to find the right wordsthat I learned one essential truth:
Communication has very little to do with words.
Rather, the only thing that truly matters with world-class communication has to do with what the *other* person(s) thinks, feels, says, and ultimatelyunderstands.
Whether its a keynote speech to 10,000 people, a workshop for a small group, or a podcast for whomever will listenthe goals are the same.
This Isnt Just About Content Marketing
In the coming months, Im going to be spending more and more time and effort teaching about communication. Along with this, The Sales Lion will be moving in the same direction.
This is why we are offering the first ever event specifically designed to help marketing agencies give world-class workshops .
This event is one of many in the future that will go significantly deeper than the sales and marketing tactics we can all read about online every single day.
Ultimately, it is our goal to help businesses and brands not just become better content marketersbut rather elite communicators that are obsessed with creating a connection with their audiences on an entirely new level.
We feel if brands can do this well, then they are dramatically more prepared for whatever may come their way in the digital age.
Just think about it for a second, which of the following are you POSITIVE will exist in 10 years:
Facebook
Google Plus
Pinterest
I dont know about you, but Im not fully confident any of these will existat least as we know thema decade from now.
As history has taught us, platforms come and go, but principles are eternal.
Looking Ahead: What will NOT Change
And this is exactly what companiesno matter the sizeneed to latch on to.
What will NOT change in the coming years is the need for better communication.
Whether its text, video, or audiobrands better understand how to reach their audiences.
They better know how to engender trust with everything they communicate.
They better know how to create a message that is appealing, empathetic, and relatable.
And they certainly better understand the essence of great online communication is absolutely no different than anything they might articulate offline as well.
For some of the regular readers here, you may find such topics boring and trite.
But it is my hope youll join me on this journey to dig a little deeper and ultimately, see where it takes us.
By Marcus Sheridan Motivational/Inspirational 16 Comments
About Marcus Sheridan
Husband, Father, Teacher, Speaker, and generally enthusiastic guy...I'm simply here trying to make a difference, learning as I go.
16 thoughts on Is Your Business Truly Prepared for the Future? Going Beyond "Content Marketing"
March 23, 2015 at 11:06 am
Chris Handy
Youre headed in the right direction Marcus. Those who get it will keep reading, listening and learning. The more I work on this stuff, the more I see the need for more humility and teaching. Cranking out authoritative blog posts may drive traffic isnt what moves the needle. Ive read plenty of drivel that ranked will in SERPS. Its local content marketing services the heart in the author shining through that keeps me reading.
March 24, 2015 at 7:58 am
Appreciate you saying that Chris. Well see where it all takes us.
Thanks so much for stopping by man,
Marcus
I found you a week ago & you are great!
March 24, 2015 at 7:57 am
Well then thrilled to meet you Dessy!
Hope youll come back again
Marcus
Niklas Myhr
In terms of buzzwords as they come and go, I am actually quite amazed by the rate at which content marketing is still climbing the Google trends charts, even about to catch up with social media marketing any month now. Still, I dont have a problem using those terms as long as they are put in a larger context such as the one of overall communication which I think you are right is unlikely to disappear anytime soon. I have also begun to include another ageless term, the one of pedagogy, as I believe that in the age of content marketing, we all have to become professors to some extent
Good luck with those workshops and hope to see you at #SMMW15 in San Diego! / Niklas
March 24, 2015 at 7:56 am
Niklas, love your points, and yes, lets make sure to catch up this week in San Diego, Id love that!!
Marcus
Sure thing, Marcus, and lets chat and have a safe trip from my old Virginia (got my Ph.D. from UVA).
March 23, 2015 at 3:12 pm
James Hahn II
This is frickin AWESOME, brother! It took a full year for us to see the real issue, but were headed in the same direction. Weve found its too easy to get stuck in the weeds talking SEO with our clients and prospects. When your fundamental goal is to change the world and a prospect concludes your initial call with, Oh, so you do websites and SEO? you know you have a problem. A BIG problem!
We took it from Build Your Tribe. Grow Your Brand. Watch Profits Soar. to Brand Architects for Next Generation Oilfield Leaders.
Shifting from tactics to strategy, micro-execution to brand-level, revenue driven conversations has been the key. Yes, to our business growth. But, more importantly, its allowing us to begin accomplishing our much bigger goal; changing the culture of the largest industry on earth.
Fired up to watch you evolve and discover what awesome ideas youve got for us next! Because I cant speak for the rest of The Sales Lion crew, but I need them for my business
Cant wait to see where you are or year from now!
March 24, 2015 at 7:55 am
Marcus Sheridan
Youre such a good and passionate soul James.
It makes me smile to read these words and to see all the great things youre doing with your brand and business.
Im cheering you on every step of the way,
Marcus
Jeremy Abel
Hey Marcus,
Excellent insights brother. Channels for communication have changed time and again, while the communication itself must maintain its power. The way we frame a message transcends the medium through which it passes.
Great messaging isnt limited by the medium; the medium gives us a chance to deliver it more effectively depending on the people with whom were communicating. The amazing thing is that, when it comes to modern technology, great companies know how to communicate with people and with the medium. For example, publishing helpful and informative content is just one part of the inbound marketing process; marking up that content in such as a way that search engines can quickly and easily make sense of it so as to help the right audience discover said content is another part.
Of the MANY things youve taught me over the years, its that the various channels companies use to get found online are merely mediums that facilitate (or inhibit) the flow of communication between a company and its customers and employees (both current and prospective). As sure as Im alive, a message will be conveyed (with the outcome hinging on how well the company can communicate). *Everything* communicates.
I look forward to joining you on this path, and seeing the growing number of businesses (and lives) youll be changing along the way.
God Bless,
Thanks for sharing increase business steps
March 24, 2015 at 7:54 am
Great article Marcus! its easy for us to get caught up in the day to day without being conscious of where were headed. Thanks for reminding us.
March 24, 2015 at 11:24 am
Don Stanley
I dont say this lightly this post is exactly why I love you brother. You always know how to cut to the truth of the matter.
One of my all-time favorite quotes, which I include in every speaking gig, workshop and class I lead is this
If you wish to persuade ME, you must think MY thoughts, feel MY feelings, and speak MY words.
Repeat that to yourself and then really ruminate on it.
If you do you will notice this quote is unbelievably simple and unbelievably wise. If you want to be a great communicator and connector in ANY area of your life (with your spouse, kids, business clients, etc.), embrace the message of this quote and you will create incredible impact.
We must always remember, everyone experiences the world through their own lens, using their filters. The more you can understand and empathize with others, the more they can connect and relate to you. You build trust and loyalty. In my book, it really is that simple. And your post embodies this wisdom.
Oh, by the way do you have any idea who the quote is attributed to? I always ask this and no one in my audience ever gets it right.
CICERO!!!!!! Yes, this is ancient wisdom. Its not sexy and new its just the good ol plain truth. Embrace it and you will radically change your world and the worlds of those you are lucky enough to serve.
Keep changing the world brother! And regarding joining you on this journey? Count me in 100% Im charging forward with you on this mission side-by-side.
Rhino
mahogany
The more I work on this stuff, the more I see the need for more humility and teaching. Cranking out authoritative blog posts may drive traffic isnt what moves the needle. Ive read plenty of drivel that ranked will in SERPS. Its the heart in the author shining through that keeps me reading.
March 24, 2015 at 7:54 pm
Phil Smith
Great post. I think it is telling that someone who was an early adopter of content marketing is now moving on from content to communication. Content marketing is reaching saturation point and many have forgotten its real purpose is to communicate with and engage potential customers. The key to success is personalisation and delivery and, in my opinion the traditional delivery methods are no longer fit for purpose. What is the best way to reach prospects? what will replace Facebook and the rest? I dont know but I wish you well on your journey. I for one will be watching closely where you end up.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.thesaleslion.com/future-business-content-marketing/