Important Things You Must Know About Thyroid Profile Test
Located just below the Adam’s apple, wrapped around the windpipe, thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland that plays a vital in regulating a number of metabolic processes throughout the body and is also responsible for the production of essential hormone thyroxine that ministers cellular activities of the nearby tissues.
Thyroid disease is a common problem that typically causes symptoms because of over-or-under performance of the thyroid gland. The disease can also sometimes lead to enlargement of the gland which further shows symptoms that are directly related to increase in the size of the organ such as facing problem in swallowing and feeling discomfort in the front side of the neck.
While a major chunk of the Indian women suffers from thyroid issues, there are tons of them who are unaware of this dire disease. However, when the gland is dysfunctions, it can cause a wide range of health related issues such as weight gain, depression, sexual dysfunction, fatigue and more. Therefore, it becomes imperative to be aware of its symptoms and get a thyroid profile done from time to time.
Specific Kinds of Thyroid Disorders
Five types of thyroid disorders can be noticed. These include:-
· Hypothyroidism – a condition when the gland produces insufficient amount of thyroid hormones.
· Hyperthyroidism – a condition wherein the gland produces excessive amount of thyroid hormones.
· Goiter – this simply describes the enlargement of the gland, irrespective of the cause. Though it’s not a specific kind of disease, it may be associated with hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism or normal functionality of the gland.
· Thyroid Nodules – a situation in which lumps or abnormal masses develop within the thyroid gland. These can vary in size and if excessively large, can cause symptoms related to compression of surrounding structures.
· Thyroid Cancer – a fatal disease wherein the thyroid cells turn cancerous and can become life threatening.
Thyroid Profile Test
Thyroid profile test is a combination of blood tests that help in measuring the level of hormones made by the thyroid gland. In addition to this, the tests also check the production of hormone made by the pituitary gland in the brain that acts on the thyroid gland.
Use of Thyroid Profile
A thyroid profile is performed to check the functionality of the thyroid gland – diagnosing an underactive thyroid condition (hypothyroidism) or an overactive thyroid condition (hyperthyroidism).
Individuals with certain specific diseases or conditions are at a higher risk of developing thyroid related problems and hence, are advised to have a thyroid function test done once in a year. These diseases or conditions includes:-
· Type 1 diabetes
· Down’s syndrome
· Addison’s disease
· Coeliac disease
· Turner syndrome
There also are certain drugs that can affect the working of the thyroid gland. For instance, amiodarone and lithium, etc.
A thyroid profile may also be suggested to:-
· Analyse the treatment with thyroid replacement medications for individuals who suffer from hypothyroidism.
· Map the operations of the gland in individuals who have hyperthyroidism
· Screen infants for inheritance of thyroid condition.
Being a simple blood test, it’s easy to perform and poses no risk to the patient except for feeling a little soreness near the area from where the blood was drawn.
If you wish to know more about Thyroid, related tests and other information CLICK HERE! https://www.lalpathlabs.com/pathology-test/thyroid-profile-free