Hungry Middle Schoolers Create Prize-winning Allergy App

Her oldest, Brandon, behaved like a normal, healthy baby until he was about six months old and couldn't fight off his first cold. He had trouble eating, he developed a rash on his face and thrush in his mouth, and his fingernails turned blue. 'Bubble Boy' legislation to create home treatment program Brandon died within three weeks of being hospitalized in 1993 of severe combined immunodeficiency, or SCID-X1, commonly known as "bubble boy disease." It was so named for David Vetter, a Texas child with SCID-X1, who died in 1984 after living for 12 years in a germ-free plastic bubble. Courtesy Heather Smith Brandon Dahley died at the age of seven months from SCID-X1 or "bubble boy" disease. "I had seen the movie ["The Boy in the Plastic Bubble"] with John Travolta, but I never dreamed I would someday lose my first-born child to this devastating disease," said Smith, founder of SCID-Angels for Life , which successfully pushed for mandatory screening of all newborns for the disease in her home state of Florida. "[A bone transplant] wasn't even an option presented to us for consideration," she said. "Instead, we were told that we had to say goodbye to our only child and turn off the machines." After genetic testing, Smith's son Taylor was born in 1995, and because of early detection, he received the first-ever in-utero bone marrow cell transplant, previously only done on sheep. Today, at 18, he is "thriving," according to his mother and leads a normal life. investigate this site http://feeds.abcnews.com/c/35229/f/654831/s/34bdb007/sc/14/l/0Labcnews0Bgo0N0CHealth0Cbubble0Eboy0Edisease0Ecured0Eclinical0Etrial0Ereveals0Cstory0Did0F2118560A7/story01.htm Too Much Video Game Playing Threatens Gamer's Lifei Think Its Absolutely Fantastic, And Itll Be A Perfect Kind Of easy Way Out For Me, She Said. The unidentified patient, who played while in bed, sought medical help after noticing swelling and pain in his legs. Doctors found that he had deep vein thrombosis and had multiple blood clots in his legs. Deep vein thrombosis usually occurs when a person is sedentary or still for long periods of time and can lead to a life-threatening pulmonary embolism if a blood clot forms in the leg and travels to the lung. Blood Clot Could have Been Life Threatening for Hillary Clinton If a patient with a pulmonary embolism is not treated, the condition is fatal approximately 30 percent of the time according to the National Institutes of Health. The man in the case study, an exterior painter, first noticed symptoms into his second day of game playing but didnt seek medical attention for another 48 hours, according to the report. In spite of the delay in treatment, doctors were able to dissolve the clots with medications. As people spend more and more time playing video games, some experts are now concerned that there could be a rise in cases of deep vein thrombosis. The authors of the case study recommended further research to study the effects of game playing on the body. According to a 2010 study by the Kaiser Family Foundation examining media usage by teens, daily video game use by teens has risen from 26 minutes per day in 1999 to an hour and 13 minutes in 2010. i loved this http://feeds.abcnews.com/c/35229/f/654831/s/34bc879f/l/0Labcnews0Bgo0N0CHealth0Cvideo0Egame0Eleads0Elife0Ethreatening0Econdition0Egamer0Cstory0Did0F2118210A6/story01.htm 'Bubble Boy' Disease, Nearly Always Fatal, Could Have Cure"[a Bone Transplant] Wasn't Even An Option Presented To Us For Consideration," She Said. We liked the idea that [Chow Checker] was solving for this big issue around finding what the ingredients are on foods that you purchase all the time and providing that instant information back to the user of the app, said Justina Nixon-Saintil, who oversees education programs for Verizon. We thought that was very original. Samantha plans to incorporate the app into her daily routine. I think its absolutely fantastic, and itll be a perfect kind of easy way out for me, she said. I can just plug in the stuff to my phone and it can tell me easily whether or not I can eat it. Dr. Jonathan Field, a pediatric allergist with St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York City, told ABC News the app could be profoundly helpful for those with food allergies and that he plans to recommend Chow Checker to his patients as a resource. Its necessary, because we are an Internet-savvy group these days, especially the target group kids and young adults who are more and more being diagnosed with food allergies, Field said. visit site http://feeds.abcnews.com/c/35229/f/654831/s/34bf1876/sc/19/l/0Labcnews0Bgo0N0Cblogs0Chealth0C20A130C120C120Chungry0Emiddle0Eschoolers0Ecreate0Eprize0Ewinning0Eallergy0Eapp0C/story01.htm