Cancer Council worried South Australian Government no longer committed to banning outdoor smokers in

SEP campaigns in Adelaide, South Australia





Then-health minister John Hill pledged in May 2011 to ban smoking in alfresco drinking and dining areas within five years. Cancer Council SA chief executive Brenda Wilson said South Australia and Victoria were the only states that had not restricted smoking outdoors by drinkers and diners. "Evidence indicates that's there's no risk-free level of exposure to second-hand smoke and even small amounts of exposure to tobacco smoke can be harmful to people's health and ,apart from passive smoking contributing to lung cancer, it also contributes to heart disease, asthma, SIDS, along with a range of other health conditions," she said. She said it was unclear what position current Health Minister Jack Snelling was taking on the plan. "When we met with Minister Snelling he said that he wasn't able to give a commitment and alfresco drinking and dining smoke-free is something that we would like to see happen and a line drawn in the sand about when that is going to happen," she said. The Cancer Council is delivering postcards to residents living near alfresco dining sites in Adelaide, and even as far afield as Victor Harbor, calling on Premier Jay Weatherill to ensure there is a statewide ban on smoking in outdoor dining and drinking areas. It hopes people will sign the postcard and post it as a way to give their message to the Government. To your very first posting kindly visit

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-11/cancer-council-worried-south-australian-government-no-longer-co/4813378









Wave after wave of layoffs and cuts to conditions, backed by the federal and state Labor governments and enforced by the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU), have resulted in the number of jobs being slashed from more than 3,000 in 2007 to just 1,600. Four hundred workers are currently being retrenched through union-organised redundancy packages. Last month, GMH issued an ultimatum, demanding that workers accept a 20 percent wage cut, of more than $5.60 per hour, or face the plants imminent closure. The demand marks a new stage in the deepening assault on jobs and conditions under the Labor government, which will intensify after the federal election, regardless of which party wins. The AMWU is now in negotiations with the company. Workers will be forced to vote by August 9 on whether to accept the reduced wages and conditions. GMH workers leaving plant on July 9 An SEP campaign team distributed several hundred copies of an article on the wage and job cuts ,written by Cogan, to workers coming off the day shift at the Elizabeth plant. While a number of workers expressed a sense of resignation that the plant closure was inevitable, several indicated that the main reason for this attitude was that they had no confidence in the AMWU. Thanks a lot goes toward

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/07/10/adel-j10.html